SC sets aside appointment of Upa Lokayukta in Karnataka
New Delhi: The Supreme Court today set aside the appointment of Justice (retd) Chandrashekaraiah as Upa Lokayukta of Karnataka on the ground that he was appointed by the government without consultation with the Chief Justice of Karnataka High Court.
A bench of justices K S Radhakrishnan and Madan B Lokur held that the consultation with the chief justice is mandatory before appointment of Upa Lokayukta and the chief minister did not hold any "meaningful" consultation with the chief justice.
The bench, however, made it clear that there is nothing against justice Chandrashekaraiah and he can be again considered by the state government for the post.
The bench said the chief minister has committed error by not consulting the chief justice and held that the appointment of Upa Lokayukta is void ab initio (to be treated as invalid from the outset).
The Karnataka High Court had on April 3 last year quashed
the appointment of justice Chandrashekaraiah as the Upa Lokayukta holding that the selection procedure was "not in conformity with law".
The high court had set aside the January 21 last year notification issued by the Karnataka government appointing Chandrashekariah as the Upa Lokayukta.
The bench had said that the selection procedure adopted by Karnataka Chief Minister D V Sadananda Gowda "is not in conformity with law and hence the appointment is illegal, unconstitutional and void".
It had also urged the state government and chief minister to expeditiously start a fresh selection process as mandated by the Lokayukta Act to find a new Upa Lokayukta as the post cannot be held vacant for long.
The court had also suggested guidelines for the selection in which Chief Justice`s opinion will have primacy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming