Shahnawaz Hussain plays down Bellary bypoll defeat
Hyderabad: Playing down the loss in the
Bellary Assembly bypoll in Karnataka, BJP MP and party
spokesman Syed Shahnawaj Hussain on Sunday said it was a local
election and had no relevance at the state level.
"Bellary was a local election. The candidate was in BJP
and now contested as an independent. It is not correct to link
that with entire Karnataka," he told reporters here.
BJP suffered a humiliating defeat in Bellary, the
Stronghold of Reddy brothers, when their protege and former
minister B Sreeramulu won the by-election in the Rural
Assembly constituency by a huge margin of 46,000 votes.
Hussain also rejected the view that Congress had
performed well in the byelections despite the BJP`s campaign
against the UPA.
"Where did Congress improve its performance? Congress has
lost deposit at many places, in Bihar, Jharkhand and Himachal,
where it made tall claims. In Himachal, it is now confirmed
that BJP would come back to power again (following the results
of today`s bypoll)," he said.
To a query, he said BJP wanted a strong Lokpal and was
making efforts in that direction both in Parliament and
The BJP leader demanded that the UPA government either
roll back the move to allow FDI in multi-brand retail or face
the adjournment motion in Parliament.
He demanded that the government make a statement on the
Hussain alleged that the formation of separate Telangana
was getting delayed because of the ruling Congress.
He condoled the death of veteran Bollywood actor Dev
Anand and recalled that Dev Anand got the Padma Bhushan during
the NDA regime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state