Shahnawaz Hussain plays down Bellary bypoll defeat
Hyderabad: Playing down the loss in the
Bellary Assembly bypoll in Karnataka, BJP MP and party
spokesman Syed Shahnawaj Hussain on Sunday said it was a local
election and had no relevance at the state level.
"Bellary was a local election. The candidate was in BJP
and now contested as an independent. It is not correct to link
that with entire Karnataka," he told reporters here.
BJP suffered a humiliating defeat in Bellary, the
Stronghold of Reddy brothers, when their protege and former
minister B Sreeramulu won the by-election in the Rural
Assembly constituency by a huge margin of 46,000 votes.
Hussain also rejected the view that Congress had
performed well in the byelections despite the BJP`s campaign
against the UPA.
"Where did Congress improve its performance? Congress has
lost deposit at many places, in Bihar, Jharkhand and Himachal,
where it made tall claims. In Himachal, it is now confirmed
that BJP would come back to power again (following the results
of today`s bypoll)," he said.
To a query, he said BJP wanted a strong Lokpal and was
making efforts in that direction both in Parliament and
The BJP leader demanded that the UPA government either
roll back the move to allow FDI in multi-brand retail or face
the adjournment motion in Parliament.
He demanded that the government make a statement on the
Hussain alleged that the formation of separate Telangana
was getting delayed because of the ruling Congress.
He condoled the death of veteran Bollywood actor Dev
Anand and recalled that Dev Anand got the Padma Bhushan during
the NDA regime.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed