Shettar confident of solving Cauvery dispute
Bangalore: Ahead of the meeting with his Tamil Nadu counterpart J Jayalalithaa, Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar on Thursday expressed confidence of solving the Cauvery water sharing stalemate.
"Both neighbouring states are in distress. We have to find a solution in the present circumstances. I am confident we would find so," he told reporters after unveiling the Karnataka Youth Policy-2012 here.
Jayalalithaa and Shettar are meeting here later today on the Cauvery water sharing row as per the Supreme Court advice.
This would be the second time in 15 years that the Chief Ministers of both the states meeting to hold talks on the water row after 1997 when M Karunanidhi and JH Patel met in Chennai.
Hearing the issue, the Supreme Court had on November 26 suggested that both Chief Ministers should give it a try and meet in a congenial manner and discuss the issue in the larger interest of farmers of both states.
Earlier Youth Services and Sports Minister Appachu Ranjan submitted the "Karnataka Youth Policy 2012" to Shettar at his official residence Krishna.
Speaking at the occasion, Shettar said his government would make efforts to seriously implement the policy. He said the main objective of the policy is to empower the youth to facilitate all-round development of the society, state, country and the world.
The policy would open channels to reach youth at all levels in the state, Shettar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof