Shettar faces land denotification trouble
Bangalore: Within hours of being named as Karnataka Chief Minister, a private complaint was on Wednesday filed against Jagadish Shettar in the Lokayukta court alleging irregularities in land denotification by him six years ago.
The complaint filed before Lokayukta Judge N K Sundhindra Rao alleged that Shettar denotified 178 acres in 2006 as Revenue Minister violating rules that caused a revenue loss of Rs 250 crore to the state exchequer.
The complainant, city based social activist S M Chethan, pleaded for action under the provisions of Prevention of Corruption Act against Shettar, who is to be sworn in as Chief Minister tomorrow.
Shettar was today appointed as Chief Minister and invited to form the government by Governor H R Bhardwaj after incumbent D V Sadananda Gowda resigned in a change of leadership following intra-party power struggle in the BJP.
The Judge posted the complaint to July 21 for orders on probe.
The complainant alleged Shettar without cabinet approval had in 2006 denotified 178 acres out of 376 acres acquired for establishing a single roof mega farmers market at Dasanapura near here on applications by some land sharks along with farmers who owned the land.
This caused a loss of Rs 250 crore to the state exchequer at the present market value of the land, he alleged but added the project was never implemented.
Shettar along with the then Special Land Acquisition Officer and the then Director, Agriculture Marketing Board are the accused in the case.
Shettar is the latest BJP leader to court controversy over the land denotification, which has come to haunt the BJP regime in the state with former chief minister B S Yeddyurappa and several ministers and MLAs battling legal proceedings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?