Shettar likely to meet BJP prez on Monday, discuss Karnataka politics
New Delhi: Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar is likely to meet BJP president Rajnath Singh on Monday to discuss the future course of action in the wake of 13 MLAs loyal to B S Yeddyurappa announcing their decision to quit.
The meeting comes in wake of Singh making clear to Shettar last Friday not to compromise on the BJP`s principles even if it threatens the survival of the government in the southern state.
The party has, however, claimed that it is confident of overcoming the crisis.
Thirteen MLAs loyal to Karnataka Janata Party chief Yeddyurappa had gone in a delegation last Wednesday to meet Speaker K G Bopaiah to submit their resignation from Assembly membership.
As Bopaiah was not present, they had later submitted copies of their resignation letters to Governor H R Bhardwaj.
In the 225-member Karnataka Assembly, BJP has a strength of 117 excluding the Speaker and requires 113 for a simple majority. Congress has 71 members and JDS 26. There are seven Independents and two vacancies. One member is nominated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users