Shettar likely to meet BJP prez on Monday, discuss Karnataka politics
New Delhi: Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar is likely to meet BJP president Rajnath Singh on Monday to discuss the future course of action in the wake of 13 MLAs loyal to B S Yeddyurappa announcing their decision to quit.
The meeting comes in wake of Singh making clear to Shettar last Friday not to compromise on the BJP`s principles even if it threatens the survival of the government in the southern state.
The party has, however, claimed that it is confident of overcoming the crisis.
Thirteen MLAs loyal to Karnataka Janata Party chief Yeddyurappa had gone in a delegation last Wednesday to meet Speaker K G Bopaiah to submit their resignation from Assembly membership.
As Bopaiah was not present, they had later submitted copies of their resignation letters to Governor H R Bhardwaj.
In the 225-member Karnataka Assembly, BJP has a strength of 117 excluding the Speaker and requires 113 for a simple majority. Congress has 71 members and JDS 26. There are seven Independents and two vacancies. One member is nominated.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India