‘Shiv Sena will lose relevance after Mumbai poll’
Mumbai: Terming the Bal Thackeray-led Shiv
Sena as `fascist`, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj
Chavan on Thursday said the party would lose relevance after the
February 16 Mumbai municipal corporation elections.
"After the BMC election results, Sena will become
irrelevant," Chavan said, expressing confidence that the
Congress-NCP alliance will storm back to power in India`s
richest civic body, whose budget, he said, was larger than the
individual budget of 17 states.
"Sena is a fascist party and I think the difficulty that
the fascist elements bring into the body politics of India and
Maharashtra are there for all to see," Chavan said in an
interaction with journalists at his official residence
`Varsha` in south Mumbai.
In 2007, Congress and NCP came very close to forming an
alliance, Chavan said. "They settled on a seat-sharing number
but finally disagreed on one seat. More likely, someone or the
other from either side didn`t want the alliance," he said.
"This time, I had a discussion with senior leadership of
NCP. The numbers clearly favoured us. The division of secular
votes allowed Shiv Sena-BJP to rule the Mumbai civic body. We
took a very conscious decision that we must avoid division of
secular votes to oust Sena-BJP from power in Mumbai civic
body," he said.
"The leaderhip of NCP agreed and I must thank Sharad
Pawar who made sure that we don`t bicker on one or two seats,"
Chavan said. "People (from Congress and NCP) have sensed that
power is within their grasp," he said, claiming "we are poised
to win the BMC election."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez