Shobha Karandlaje likely to be axed from the ministry
Bangalore: Karnataka Energy Minister Shobha Karandlaje, who is under the eye of a storm for her outbursts over safety of women in the state, is likely to be axed from the ministry, according to BJP sources.
There was a demand for dropping Shobha, considered close to KJP chief B S Yeddyurappa, from the ministry with immediate effect at the BJP Core Committee meeting held here, sources said.
Sources said Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar has already sounded Shobha that she was free to air her views against the government after quitting the ministry.
Shobha two days ago shot off a letter to Shettar demanding steps to ensure protection to women against the backdrop of a spate of rape cases reported in the state.
The law and order has crumbled in the state and at least 20 rape cases have been reported in the last two months, Shobha had alleged in her letter.
Shobha is a hardcore supporter of Yeddyurappa and had even hinted at resigning from the ministry to take active role in the new party.
Shettar last month sacked Yeddyurappa loyalist B J Puttaswamy from the ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet