Should oppose the demand of Tamil Nadu: HDK
Shimoga: Karnataka Government should oppose Tamil Nadu`s demand for release of Cauvery water when the farmers of Cauvery basin in the state were suffering from shortage of water during summer, former Chief Minister and JD(S) president H D Kumaraswamy said on Sunday.
Speaking to reporters here, he said Tamil Nadu raking up
the water issue particularly during summer seems to be
"ridiculous and meaningless".
Tamil Nadu government is raising the water sharing issue
for "political gain and creating tension among farmers of
Karnataka", Kumaraswamy said, adding, he would press the state
not to budge or yield to the demand at any cost and take up
awareness and confidence building activities among farmers in
Tamil Nadu has filed an application in the Supreme Court
seeking to restrain Karnataka from resorting to summer
The two states are locked in decades-long dispute on
sharing waters of the river and the Cauvery Water Disputes
Tribunal, set up by the Centre, had in 2007 given its final
award, allocating 419 tmcft water to Tamil Nadu and 270 tmcft
to Karnataka annually.
However, Karnataka has challenged the award in the apex
court, alleging it gave a raw deal to the state overlooking
its requirements and rights.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah