Siddaramaiah announces probe into KPSC scam
Bangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Monday announced an inquiry into alleged irregularities in selection of candidates by the state public Service Commission for gazetted probationer posts.
He also said government would withhold the candidates` list selected by the Commission till the probe was completed.
Replying to a debate on the issue in the Assembly, raised by opposition JDS Leader HD Kumaraswamy and Karnataka Janata Paksha`s BS Yeddyurappa, he said the probe would be held by a competent investigative agency, which would submit its report in two to three weeks.
"Suitable action will be taken against officials found guilty", Siddaramaiah said.
"The government cannot remain silent on the issue even though KPSC is an autonomous body. The image of KPSC and its members has been sullied following allegations that they demanded huge sums as bribes from candidates for selection," the Chief Minister said.
He said the government is considering reducing the marks for the interview as KPSC members `manipulate` it. "There are chances of members manipulating the interview as 200 marks are alloted for it."
The Chief Minister also said that the government is considering implementing the UPSC method of not revealing the total marks secured by candidates till completion of interview process.
"Keeping marks secret will help reduce the scope of manipulating interview and bringing in transparency," he said.
Earlier, Yeddyurappa read out the letter submitted to him by Mythri, a topper in KAS examinations (ST category), alleging that she was given poor marks in the interview as she could not meet the demand of a KPSC Member for a bribe of Rs 70 lakh for getting the Assistant Commissioner`s post.
He urged Siddaramaiah to initiate an inquiry into the matter and hold back selected candidates` list until the completion of the probe.
Kumaraswamy urged the Chief Minister to take steps to arrest a person for getting appointed as Assistant Commissioner without appearing for exams.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof