Siddaramaiah announces probe into KPSC scam
Bangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Monday announced an inquiry into alleged irregularities in selection of candidates by the state public Service Commission for gazetted probationer posts.
He also said government would withhold the candidates` list selected by the Commission till the probe was completed.
Replying to a debate on the issue in the Assembly, raised by opposition JDS Leader HD Kumaraswamy and Karnataka Janata Paksha`s BS Yeddyurappa, he said the probe would be held by a competent investigative agency, which would submit its report in two to three weeks.
"Suitable action will be taken against officials found guilty", Siddaramaiah said.
"The government cannot remain silent on the issue even though KPSC is an autonomous body. The image of KPSC and its members has been sullied following allegations that they demanded huge sums as bribes from candidates for selection," the Chief Minister said.
He said the government is considering reducing the marks for the interview as KPSC members `manipulate` it. "There are chances of members manipulating the interview as 200 marks are alloted for it."
The Chief Minister also said that the government is considering implementing the UPSC method of not revealing the total marks secured by candidates till completion of interview process.
"Keeping marks secret will help reduce the scope of manipulating interview and bringing in transparency," he said.
Earlier, Yeddyurappa read out the letter submitted to him by Mythri, a topper in KAS examinations (ST category), alleging that she was given poor marks in the interview as she could not meet the demand of a KPSC Member for a bribe of Rs 70 lakh for getting the Assistant Commissioner`s post.
He urged Siddaramaiah to initiate an inquiry into the matter and hold back selected candidates` list until the completion of the probe.
Kumaraswamy urged the Chief Minister to take steps to arrest a person for getting appointed as Assistant Commissioner without appearing for exams.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP