Siddaramaiah to induct MLC S R Patil into govt
Bangalore: SR Patil, who had served as leader of the Opposition in the Legislative Council during the tenure of the previous BJP government, would be inducted into the ministry tomorrow, Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah said Friday.
Patil would be sworn in by Governor H R Bhardwaj at a ceremony in Raj Bhavan, sources said.
He has pipped Motamma and Veeranna Mathikatti, the other members of the Upper House who were also in the race for the berth.
Last Saturday, the Chief Minister had inducted 28 ministers but without a representation from among MLCs, causing heart-burn among the aspirants from the upper House.
According to officials, as per rules of the Legislative Council, only a minister representing the Upper House can be the ruling party floor leader there. Siddaramaiah`s move to induct an MLC into the cabinet comes in this background.
The maiden session of the Council after Congress came to power earlier this month would be held from May 29.
Meanwhile, a meeting of the cabinet, chaired by the Chief Minister, okayed a Lok Ayukta recommendation to appoint retired district judges R Deshpande and A C Vidyadhara as additional registrars of the anti-corruption ombudsman.
The cabinet authorised Siddaramaiah to fill the vacancies caused by the retirement of Karnataka Public Service Commission Chairman Gonal Bhimappa and its member Ramakrishna N.
It was also decided to complete the transfer of government servants by June 30 as per guidelines, Law and Parliamentary Affairs Minister T B Jayachandra said after the meeting.
On alleged corruption in the recruitment of gazetted probationers, conducted by KPSC, Jayachandra said he would convene a meeting with concerned ministers and Advocate General Ravivarma Kumar to look into the charge.
Regarding drinking water shortage in Bangalore, he said the problem prevailed in other parts of the state as well and discussions are on with the Finance Department to release more funds to address the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees