Siddaramaiah to induct MLC S R Patil into govt
Bangalore: SR Patil, who had served as leader of the Opposition in the Legislative Council during the tenure of the previous BJP government, would be inducted into the ministry tomorrow, Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah said Friday.
Patil would be sworn in by Governor H R Bhardwaj at a ceremony in Raj Bhavan, sources said.
He has pipped Motamma and Veeranna Mathikatti, the other members of the Upper House who were also in the race for the berth.
Last Saturday, the Chief Minister had inducted 28 ministers but without a representation from among MLCs, causing heart-burn among the aspirants from the upper House.
According to officials, as per rules of the Legislative Council, only a minister representing the Upper House can be the ruling party floor leader there. Siddaramaiah`s move to induct an MLC into the cabinet comes in this background.
The maiden session of the Council after Congress came to power earlier this month would be held from May 29.
Meanwhile, a meeting of the cabinet, chaired by the Chief Minister, okayed a Lok Ayukta recommendation to appoint retired district judges R Deshpande and A C Vidyadhara as additional registrars of the anti-corruption ombudsman.
The cabinet authorised Siddaramaiah to fill the vacancies caused by the retirement of Karnataka Public Service Commission Chairman Gonal Bhimappa and its member Ramakrishna N.
It was also decided to complete the transfer of government servants by June 30 as per guidelines, Law and Parliamentary Affairs Minister T B Jayachandra said after the meeting.
On alleged corruption in the recruitment of gazetted probationers, conducted by KPSC, Jayachandra said he would convene a meeting with concerned ministers and Advocate General Ravivarma Kumar to look into the charge.
Regarding drinking water shortage in Bangalore, he said the problem prevailed in other parts of the state as well and discussions are on with the Finance Department to release more funds to address the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened