SIT head will be suggested by Lokayukta: Bhaskar Rao
Bangalore: Karnataka Lokayukta Justice Y Bhaskar Rao on Thursday said head of Special Investigation Team (SIT) set up to probe illegal mining in the state will be suggested by the anti-corruption ombudsman.
"We will suggest the name..Who should head it.....Because Lokayukta is an autonomous body, Lokayukta Police is autonomous, the act is made autonomous," Rao told reporters here in response to a question about government suggesting the names for the SIT chief post.
The Karnataka Cabinet had on Tuesday decided to form a SIT under the Lokayukta to look into illegal mining in the state. The team consisting of 196 personnel will be headed by a police officer of the rank of Inspector General (IG) which will submit its report in two years.
To a question on when the SIT will start functioning, he said, "We have already sent a letter to the Chief Secretary for allotment of building; as soon as the building is allotted to us we will start functioning."
On the staff for the investigative team, he said "we will be sending a list of officers....By February 20 we might send the entire list."
Stating that Lokayukta police have been waiting for sanction to prosecute 94 officials in corruption cases, Rao said "we have received Prosecution Sanction Orders (PSO) for 12, as on 6th February."
Pointing out that it is a set rule even in the Supreme Court that any request for prosecution sanction order should be disposed of within three months; he said "the order copy was also sent to the government."
"....You should ask the government about the cause of the delay," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31