Slum-dwellers to get land title deeds in Karnataka
Bangalore: Karnataka Cabinet on Friday cleared a
policy seeking to give land title deeds to slum-dwellers,
remove hurdles in constructing dwelling units in such areas
and provide minimum infrastructure there.
Slum population in Karnataka is about 40 lakh, living in
2,722 slums in government and private land, Law and Urban
Development Minister S Suresh Kumar said in a press briefing
after a cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister DV
This includes 597 slums in Bangalore, where 15 lakh people
The aim of the policy is to make the State slum-free, and
the Government would strive to achieve the goal in five to
eight years, he said. The policy envisages providing of
quality dwelling units and minimum infrastructure such as
electricity, drinking water and roads.
As much as 22 per cent of the population in urban areas of
the State live in backward and slum areas, the Minister said.
Suggestions of the Union Ministry of Housing and Poverty
Alleviation have been incorporated in the policy, which is
also aimed at preventing creation of new slums, Suresh Kumar
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read