Slum-dwellers to get land title deeds in Karnataka
Bangalore: Karnataka Cabinet on Friday cleared a
policy seeking to give land title deeds to slum-dwellers,
remove hurdles in constructing dwelling units in such areas
and provide minimum infrastructure there.
Slum population in Karnataka is about 40 lakh, living in
2,722 slums in government and private land, Law and Urban
Development Minister S Suresh Kumar said in a press briefing
after a cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister DV
This includes 597 slums in Bangalore, where 15 lakh people
The aim of the policy is to make the State slum-free, and
the Government would strive to achieve the goal in five to
eight years, he said. The policy envisages providing of
quality dwelling units and minimum infrastructure such as
electricity, drinking water and roads.
As much as 22 per cent of the population in urban areas of
the State live in backward and slum areas, the Minister said.
Suggestions of the Union Ministry of Housing and Poverty
Alleviation have been incorporated in the policy, which is
also aimed at preventing creation of new slums, Suresh Kumar
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?