Sonia, Rahul, PM to campaign for Karnataka Assembly polls
Bangalore: Congress President Sonia Gandhi, Vice President Rahul Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh would undertake a whirlwind tour across the state from April 23 for the May five Karnataka Assembly polls.
Sonia would start her campaign on Apr 25, instead of Apr 26, as announced earlier, at Chikamagalur, from where former Prime Minister and her mother-in-law Indira Gandhi won a by-poll in 1978, that resurrected her politically to come back to power ending the erstwhile Janata Party rule.
She would also campaign in Mangalore the same day, KPCC Campaign Committee Chairman Veeranna Mattikatti today told reporters here.
Sonia would tour Gulbarga and Belgaum on April 30 and Mysore and Bangalore on May 2, Mattikatti said.
Rahul Gandhi would address public meetings in Raichur and Bijapur districts on Apr 23.
This would be followed by meetings in Kolar, Tumkur and Haveri districts on Apr 26, instead of Apr 28 as announced earlier, Mattikatti said. Rahul will campaign in Mandya, Hassan and Shimoga districts on May 1.
The Prime Minister would campaign at Hubli-Dharwad and Bangalore on April 29, Mattikatti said.
Congress General Secretary BK Hariprasad said former External Affairs Minister SM Krishna would campaign for the party.
"Krishna is our senior leader and we will get his support," he added.
Krishna would kickstart his campaign in Bangalore and cover almost all the regions till May 2, Mattikatti said, as the two leaders sought to put at rest speculations that the former CM may not be available, apparently miffed at some of his supporters being denied tickets.
Asked why Congress has given tickets to DK Shivakumar and the Lad brothers - Anil and Santosh --against whom illegal mining charges have been levelled, Hariprasad said for the last 100 years, Congress leaders who are also mining barons have indulged in legal mining.
"BJP leaders are involved in illegal mining," he alleged.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference