Sorabjee attacks Ktka governor, says move `unconstitutional`
New Delhi: Constitutional expert Soli
J Sorabjee on Sunday attacked Karnataka Governor H R Bhardwaj for
recommending imposition of President`s rule in the BJP-ruled
state and said the Chief Minister should be allowed to prove
his majority on the floor of the House.
"First of all, I do not think there is any
justification for imposition of President`s rule. There is no
breakdown of constitutional machinery," Sorabji said.
He said Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa has confidence
of the House and he should be allowed to prove the majority as
the Supreme Court judgement on rebel BJP MLAs has no bearing
on the issue.
"If the Governor does not believe him (Yeddyurappa),
give him an opportunity to test it. Why is he preventing the
Chief Minister from proving the majority," Sorabji said.
He said that there was no justification for keeping
the house on suspended animation just to impose the
President`s rule in the state.
"It will be completely unconstitutional. It seems that
the Governor only has a single point agenda that is against
Yeddyurappa and he is pursuing that agenda, I am sorry to say
that it is unparallelled vendetta," Sorabji said.
On the issue of rebel BJP MLAs, he said that the
Supreme Court only said that they were wrongly disqualified
without being accorded a proper hearing.
"Now those people want to join Yedyurappa, where is
the question of the Supreme Court judgement preventing
that," he said.
On the question as to whether the Chief Minister
should approach the Supreme Court, Sorabji said, "Let us see
what happens. They should not jump the gun."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city