Sorabjee attacks Ktka governor, says move `unconstitutional`
New Delhi: Constitutional expert Soli
J Sorabjee on Sunday attacked Karnataka Governor H R Bhardwaj for
recommending imposition of President`s rule in the BJP-ruled
state and said the Chief Minister should be allowed to prove
his majority on the floor of the House.
"First of all, I do not think there is any
justification for imposition of President`s rule. There is no
breakdown of constitutional machinery," Sorabji said.
He said Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa has confidence
of the House and he should be allowed to prove the majority as
the Supreme Court judgement on rebel BJP MLAs has no bearing
on the issue.
"If the Governor does not believe him (Yeddyurappa),
give him an opportunity to test it. Why is he preventing the
Chief Minister from proving the majority," Sorabji said.
He said that there was no justification for keeping
the house on suspended animation just to impose the
President`s rule in the state.
"It will be completely unconstitutional. It seems that
the Governor only has a single point agenda that is against
Yeddyurappa and he is pursuing that agenda, I am sorry to say
that it is unparallelled vendetta," Sorabji said.
On the issue of rebel BJP MLAs, he said that the
Supreme Court only said that they were wrongly disqualified
without being accorded a proper hearing.
"Now those people want to join Yedyurappa, where is
the question of the Supreme Court judgement preventing
that," he said.
On the question as to whether the Chief Minister
should approach the Supreme Court, Sorabji said, "Let us see
what happens. They should not jump the gun."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town