Sorabjee opposed to higher judiciary under Lokpal
Bangalore: Eminent jurist and former Advocate
General of India, Soli Sorabjee, on Sunday opposed demands to
bring higher judiciary under the proposed Lokpal Bill, saying
they could be "judged" only by an authoritative body of
"How can lay persons, litigants and lawyers on a (Lokpal)
panel judge the Judges? May be the Judges are not above board,
but only a comprehensive body can take care of watching their
conduct," the former Solicitor General of India told reporters
in response to questions.
"Judges cannot come under scrutiny of a sort of body, which
contains lawyers who slam the judiciary whenever they lose a
case. Decisions like removal of a judge can only be taken by a
body that consists of Judges and Chief Justices of the present
and the past," he said.
"They should bring up the Judicial Accountability Bill,"
added Sorabjee, who earlier delivered the R Venkataraman
Commemorative Lecture on `The Sanctity of Law in Letter and
Spirit,` organised by the R Venkataraman Memorial Committee
and Essae Foundation in memory of the late President.
On the anti-corruption struggle launched by Anna Hazare, he
said while the anti-graft activist is a good and non-political
man, it was unfortunate that the movement had "lost its
direction". Instead of concentrating on the campaign against
corruption, Team Anna members were indulging in "unnecessary"
acts, he said.
Sorabjee criticised the anti-Congress campaign by some
Team Anna members in the recent Hissar by-election. "...what
will the people who supported him think," Sorabjee asked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what