Sorabjee opposed to higher judiciary under Lokpal
Bangalore: Eminent jurist and former Advocate
General of India, Soli Sorabjee, on Sunday opposed demands to
bring higher judiciary under the proposed Lokpal Bill, saying
they could be "judged" only by an authoritative body of
"How can lay persons, litigants and lawyers on a (Lokpal)
panel judge the Judges? May be the Judges are not above board,
but only a comprehensive body can take care of watching their
conduct," the former Solicitor General of India told reporters
in response to questions.
"Judges cannot come under scrutiny of a sort of body, which
contains lawyers who slam the judiciary whenever they lose a
case. Decisions like removal of a judge can only be taken by a
body that consists of Judges and Chief Justices of the present
and the past," he said.
"They should bring up the Judicial Accountability Bill,"
added Sorabjee, who earlier delivered the R Venkataraman
Commemorative Lecture on `The Sanctity of Law in Letter and
Spirit,` organised by the R Venkataraman Memorial Committee
and Essae Foundation in memory of the late President.
On the anti-corruption struggle launched by Anna Hazare, he
said while the anti-graft activist is a good and non-political
man, it was unfortunate that the movement had "lost its
direction". Instead of concentrating on the campaign against
corruption, Team Anna members were indulging in "unnecessary"
acts, he said.
Sorabjee criticised the anti-Congress campaign by some
Team Anna members in the recent Hissar by-election. "...what
will the people who supported him think," Sorabjee asked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly