Special status to Hyderabad-Karnataka region notified
Bangalore: Karnataka Governor H.R. Bhardwaj late Tuesday notified special status to the Hyderabad-Karnataka region in the state conferred under Article 371J of the Constitution.
The seven districts of the state, part of the erstwhile Hyderabad state under the Nizams till 1948, to get the special status are Bellary, Bidar, Bijapur, Gulbarga, Koppal, Raichur and Yadgir.
"The governor has also notified the setting up of the Hyderabad-Karnataka Region Development Board and the Karnataka Educational Institutions (regulations of admission in the region) to provide 70 percent reservation to students from the region and eight percent for them in institutions in other regions across the state," an official statement said here.
Under the law amended by parliament early this year, the governor also notified the Karnataka Public Employment order to create a local cadre and reservation for local candidates in the region in government service.
"Under the Karnataka Private Unaided Educational Institutions (regulations of admission in the region) order, 70 percent reservation will be provided for local youth in every course in any regional university or educational institution and eight percent of seats in universities in other regions of the state," the statement added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!