Sreeramulu files nomination as Independent
Bellary/Bangalore: Former Karnataka minister B
Sreeramulu on Wednesday filed his nomination papers for Bellary Rural
Assembly constituency seeking re-election as an independent, a
development that prompted BJP to expel him from the party.
Sreeramulu, a close associate of arrested mining baron and
former minister G Janardhana Reddy, submitted his nomination
papers as an independent for the November 30 bypoll in
Bellary, declining BJP offer to field him on its lotus symbol.
BJP MP from Bellary, J Shanta, Raichur MP, Sanna
Fakirappa, Somashekara Reddy and H T Suresh Babu (both MLAs)
accompanied Sreeramulu while he filed the nomination papers,
seeking re-election from the seat vacated by him, apparently
protesting his omission in the Sadananda Gowda ministry.
BJP sources in Bangalore said state unit party president K
S Eswarappa expelled Sreeramulu for defying the party
"I have not betrayed the party. I had worked for the party
and gave strength to it. But the party sidelined me, forcing
me to seek re-election as an independent candidate",
Sreeramulu asserted after filing nomination papers.
Agitated over denial of ministerial berth and also
ignoring his leader Janardhana Reddy, he resigned his assembly
membership on August four, which was accepted only last month.
BJP had deputed two teams to persuade Sreeramulu to
contest on the party ticket in the bypoll. But the Bellary
leader after consulting Reddy, who is lodged in Chanchalaguda
jail in Hyderabad and his supporters, decided to disassociate
himself from the party.
BJP is now scouting for a candidate for the bye-election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part V
- Congress targets Amitabh Bachchan over Modi govt's 2nd anniversary event, says 'wrong message being sent'
- WTO sees Brexit costing UK billions in trade tariffs: FT
- India business confidence dips to 5 month low in May
- 'Sultan's sherni Anushka Sharma heads to Patiala for 'Phillauri' shoot! – View pic
- Good rains to damp agricultural inflation, support Aug 9 RBI rate cut: BofA