Sreeramulu files nomination as Independent
Bellary/Bangalore: Former Karnataka minister B
Sreeramulu on Wednesday filed his nomination papers for Bellary Rural
Assembly constituency seeking re-election as an independent, a
development that prompted BJP to expel him from the party.
Sreeramulu, a close associate of arrested mining baron and
former minister G Janardhana Reddy, submitted his nomination
papers as an independent for the November 30 bypoll in
Bellary, declining BJP offer to field him on its lotus symbol.
BJP MP from Bellary, J Shanta, Raichur MP, Sanna
Fakirappa, Somashekara Reddy and H T Suresh Babu (both MLAs)
accompanied Sreeramulu while he filed the nomination papers,
seeking re-election from the seat vacated by him, apparently
protesting his omission in the Sadananda Gowda ministry.
BJP sources in Bangalore said state unit party president K
S Eswarappa expelled Sreeramulu for defying the party
"I have not betrayed the party. I had worked for the party
and gave strength to it. But the party sidelined me, forcing
me to seek re-election as an independent candidate",
Sreeramulu asserted after filing nomination papers.
Agitated over denial of ministerial berth and also
ignoring his leader Janardhana Reddy, he resigned his assembly
membership on August four, which was accepted only last month.
BJP had deputed two teams to persuade Sreeramulu to
contest on the party ticket in the bypoll. But the Bellary
leader after consulting Reddy, who is lodged in Chanchalaguda
jail in Hyderabad and his supporters, decided to disassociate
himself from the party.
BJP is now scouting for a candidate for the bye-election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!