Sreeramulu quits BJP in Karnataka
Bangalore: Trouble appeared brewing for the
ruling BJP in Karnataka on Wednesday with former minister and trusted
aide of mining barons Reddy brothers B Sreeramulu quitting the
party after filing nomination as an Independent candidate for
the Bellary Rural bypoll.
Sreeramulu resigned making known his displeasure over
being sidelined and citing "humiliation" meted out to his
business associate and jailed former minister G Janaradhana
Reddy, whom he consulted before deciding to contest as an
Independent in the November 30 bypoll.
In his resignation letter to BJP national and state
chiefs Nitin Gadkari and K S Eshwarappa respectively,
Sreeramulu recounted the struggle he and Reddy brothers made
to demolish the Congress stronghold in the mine-rich Bellary
The state BJP had tried hard to persuade Sreeramulu to
contest on the party ticket, but was not willing to accept his
condition that he would be made a minister if he wins the
Upset over his exclusion from the Sadananda Gowda
Ministry, Sreeramulu had quit as MLA in August, causing the
Giving vent to his anger at the state leaders, he said
they did not come to his or Reddy`s rescue when the Lokayukta
report on illegal mining indicted them along with former Chief
Minister B S Yeddyurappa, who quit over its findings.
"I have not betrayed the party. I had worked for the
party and gave strength to it. But the party sidelined me,
forcing me to seek re-election as an independent", he told
Sreeramulu filed his nomination to retain his Bellary
Rural (ST) seat after rejecting the party`s offer to field
The open support to Sreeramulu by BJP MPs J Shanta and
Sanna Fakirappa of Raichur and MLAs Somashekara Reddy and H T
Suresh Babu has increased worries for the ruling party.
After Sreeraumulu filed his nomination, Eshwarappa
discussed the Bellary crisis with the party leaders including
"Anyone going against the party would face expulsion,
including Sreeramulu," he said.
Chief Minister D V Sadananda Gowda hinted at BJP fielding
candidate against Sreeramulu.
The resignation by Sreeramulu, one of the influential
Bellary trio -- Janardhana Reddy and his brother G Karunakara
Reddy being the other two -- has come at a time when the
faction-riven BJP is battling spate of corruption charges
against Yeddyurappa and some ministers.
BJP state unit spokesman Prahald Joshi said the party was
contemplating disciplinary action against MPs and MLAs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'