Statues of Hindu gods, goddesses found desecrated
Mysore: Statues of Hindu gods and goddesses were found desecrated at Chamundi Hills here, sparking protests against police for failing to protect them.
Police Commissioner K L Sudheer said the incident took place in wee hours of the day. As news about the damage spread, people gathered there and demanded arrest of the vandals, he said.
As a precautionary measure police personnel were deployed in the area, Sudheer said.
Police said they have taken into custody a mentally challenged person for inquiry.
Condemning the incident, activists of Karnataka Rakshana Vedike (KRV), a pro-Kannada outfit, staged protests raising slogans against "lackadaisical" attitude of the police in booking the culprits.
KRV activists also demanded the state government to deploy police in and around important religious places like Chamundi Hills, Kuke Subrhamanya and Male Mahadeshwara Hills. They also demanded reinstallation of the the damaged statues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- CHSE Odisha +2 Results 2015 (chseodisha.nic.in): Odisha Board Class 12th Result 2015 declared on orissaresults.nic.in