Suo motu PIL on RTI activist murder adjourned to Dec 10
Bangalore: Karnataka High Court is considering whether the recent murder of RTI activist Lingaraju be entrusted to CBI or to constitute a Special Investigation Team to probe it.
During the hearing of a suo motu PIL on the matter, the Division Bench headed by Chief Justice Vikramajit Sen asked the government advocate to consult the police department on this and adjourned the matter to December 10.
During the earlier hearing of the PIL on November 30, the court had observed that the murder of the RTI activist was a serious matter and appointment Special Public Prosecutor was necessary in the case.
Making this observation on the suo motu PIL on hacking of Lingaraju, the division bench headed by Chief Justice Vikramajit Sen further directed the government advocate to suggest some names for the post of SPP.
Senior advocate Hazmath Pasha, who was appointed Amicus Curiae by the court, had filed a memo stating that it was on the basis of complaint filed by Lingaraju that the Lokayukta police conducted raids on the residence of corporator Gowramma and the police till date had not investigated her role in it.
Based on press reports about the hacking of the RTI activist in the city on November 20, the High Court treated the matter as a suo motu PIL the next day and appointed senior counsel Hazmath Pasha as Amicus Curiae to assist the court in the matter.
Recently, Lingaraju had filed a private complaint in the Lokayukta Court against Govindraju, husband of Azadnagar corporator Gowramma. He had also lodged a complaint with the Upalokayukta against the couple.
On November 9, the Lokayuukta police had raided Gowramma and Govindraju`s residence and recovered property worth over Rs 16 crore.
Lingaraju is also reported to have provided crucial documents, during preliminary investigation of the cases involving Gowramma and Govindraju, which subsequently led to the raids.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam