Suspected honour killing in Dharwad district
Dharwad (Ktk): Mystery shrouds the death of a 19-year-old woman in Sangameshwar village in Kalghatgi taluk of this district in Karnataka, which the locals suspect it to be a dishonour killing.
According to information gathered by police, the woman was in love with a youth of the same village and planned to marry him shortly, which was opposed by her parents.
She was found dead last night and her parents allegedly burnt the body in the wee hours of today.
District Superintendent of Police Dr Y S Ravikumar told a news agency that woman`s parents refute any role in the death of their daughter. "She was ailing", the parents has stated.
"We have asked them to produce documents in support of their claim", Ravikumar said.
Meanwhile, the woman`s lover, who also belong to the same community, has fled the village fearing for his life.
This was the third such incident after the one reported in Mandya and Mysore.
In Mandya a girl was murdered and in Mysore, a lecturer was killed by her brother as she was in love with a person from another community.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery