Suspected honour killing in Dharwad district
Dharwad (Ktk): Mystery shrouds the death of a 19-year-old woman in Sangameshwar village in Kalghatgi taluk of this district in Karnataka, which the locals suspect it to be a dishonour killing.
According to information gathered by police, the woman was in love with a youth of the same village and planned to marry him shortly, which was opposed by her parents.
She was found dead last night and her parents allegedly burnt the body in the wee hours of today.
District Superintendent of Police Dr Y S Ravikumar told a news agency that woman`s parents refute any role in the death of their daughter. "She was ailing", the parents has stated.
"We have asked them to produce documents in support of their claim", Ravikumar said.
Meanwhile, the woman`s lover, who also belong to the same community, has fled the village fearing for his life.
This was the third such incident after the one reported in Mandya and Mysore.
In Mandya a girl was murdered and in Mysore, a lecturer was killed by her brother as she was in love with a person from another community.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!