‘Talk to foreign nations to get back black money’
Bangalore: Karnataka Governor HR Bhardwaj on Sunday favoured the Union Government entering into a dialogue with foreign countries to get back the black money stashed
abroad by Indians even as he lashed out at Anna Hazare and
Baba Ramdev for raising the issue.
"What is the expertise of (social activist) Anna Hazare to
say about black-money or that fellow...`sadhu` Baba Ramdev",
Bhardwaj, a former Union Law Minister, told reporters in
response to questions on the sidelines of a function here.
"Are they tax experts ? Or (do) they have any knowledge of
international law?", asked Bhardwaj, who had earlier served
as Company Affairs Minister.
He said there are media reports that thousands of crores
of Rupees had been stashed in Swiss banks by Indians, adding,
"this is not a happy state of affairs".
"I am prepared to say on record that it`s all (black-money
abroad) because of bad statutes, bad laws that we enact", he
said at the concluding ceremony of the celebration of 150
years of Income Tax in India and Income Tax Day.
He opined that "all that money that has gone out of India
is not that kind of clandestine money sent there", adding,
many leading corporates in India had stashed money in various
countries prior to economic liberalisation when there was
"licence raj" to fuel expansion plans overseas such as the
African continent and the Asia Pacific.
Bhardwaj said: "And ultimately, this is a bilateral matter
...between country to country; government can definitely ask
information (on black-money) from country to country in
mutually assistance programme".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre