Technology-driven Bangalore police in the making
Bangalore: Policing in Bangalore appears set to be increasingly technology-driven in future as Karnataka plans to roll out the Mega City Policing (MCP) concept here.
City Police Commissioner Raghavendra Auradkar said today after a meeting with Home Minister KJ George, that under the initiative, the thrust would be on CCTV surveillance systems, multi-function devices and control and command centre, among others.
Bangalore is among the six cities -- others being Mumbai, Ahmedabad, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Chennai -- included in the MCP under the MPF scheme of the Union government. Officials said the government has taken steps to also procure portable X-ray machines, PCR (police control room) vans, patrolling vehicles, GPS dial 100 system and bomb suits, among others.
Officials said the scheme is useful for tackling new kinds of crimes in cities like Bangalore.
Auradkar said community policing concept, under the name "Spandana" -- would be introduced in all police stations in Bangalore in partnership with Non-Government Organisations and local citizens, with the initiative particularly focused on women and child issues.
Bangalore Police Commissionerate was established in 1963 and it was today decided to celebrate its golden jubilee by organising a parade, in the presence of Chief Minister Siddaramaiah, with mementos proposed to be presented to police staff -- from constable to the level of sub-inspector.
An all-India city police commissioners` conference would be held in Bangalore in November under auspices of the Bureau of Police Research and Development in November, Auradkar said.
It was agreed at the meeting that the services of home-guards would be utilised for non-core policing in the city to supplement the tasks of Bangalore police, which is facing a shortage of 2,900 personnel of the sanctioned strength of 12,700, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Olympics 2016: More Russians banned in mounting Rio toll
- Throwback! Diana Penty’s Italian vacation pics will inspire you to visit the country
- Singer Shweta Pandit gets married to Italian beau Ivano Fucci
- Nation remembers "Missile Man" APJ Abdul Kalam on his 1st death anniversary
- SHOCKING! Narsingh Yadav wanted to kill himself after dope test fiasco?