Technology-driven Bangalore police in the making
Bangalore: Policing in Bangalore appears set to be increasingly technology-driven in future as Karnataka plans to roll out the Mega City Policing (MCP) concept here.
City Police Commissioner Raghavendra Auradkar said today after a meeting with Home Minister KJ George, that under the initiative, the thrust would be on CCTV surveillance systems, multi-function devices and control and command centre, among others.
Bangalore is among the six cities -- others being Mumbai, Ahmedabad, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Chennai -- included in the MCP under the MPF scheme of the Union government. Officials said the government has taken steps to also procure portable X-ray machines, PCR (police control room) vans, patrolling vehicles, GPS dial 100 system and bomb suits, among others.
Officials said the scheme is useful for tackling new kinds of crimes in cities like Bangalore.
Auradkar said community policing concept, under the name "Spandana" -- would be introduced in all police stations in Bangalore in partnership with Non-Government Organisations and local citizens, with the initiative particularly focused on women and child issues.
Bangalore Police Commissionerate was established in 1963 and it was today decided to celebrate its golden jubilee by organising a parade, in the presence of Chief Minister Siddaramaiah, with mementos proposed to be presented to police staff -- from constable to the level of sub-inspector.
An all-India city police commissioners` conference would be held in Bangalore in November under auspices of the Bureau of Police Research and Development in November, Auradkar said.
It was agreed at the meeting that the services of home-guards would be utilised for non-core policing in the city to supplement the tasks of Bangalore police, which is facing a shortage of 2,900 personnel of the sanctioned strength of 12,700, he said.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today