Ten BJP ministers, 50 legislators back me: Yeddyurappa
Haveri: Former BJP Karnataka chief minister BS Yeddyurappa on Saturday asserted that around 10 BJP ministers and 50 legislators in the state were with him.
His claim came just hours after BJP struck at two of his supporters in the party. Cooperation minister BJ Puttaswamy was sacked from the Cabinet while GS Basavaraj, the Lok Sabha member from Tumkur, about 70km from Bangalore, was suspended from the party.
"The BJP should realise that it is running a coalition government (in Karnataka) with my supporters. Around 10 (BJP) ministers and 50 legislators are my supporters," he said in this north Karnataka town, about 350 km from Bangalore.
The BJP has 118 members in the 225-member Assembly and 44 in the 75-member Legislative Council.
Yeddyurappa, who quit BJP on November 30, is taking over as president of Karnataka Janata Party at a public meeting here on Sunday.
He said Saturday`s action against his two supporters meant the fall of the BJP government, headed by Jagadish Shettar, is near.
Meanwhile, Karnataka Governor HR Bhardwaj accepted Shettar`s recommendation to drop Puttaswamy from the cabinet, a Raj Bhavan communiqué said in Bangalore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly