Three arrested in Manipal gang-rape case
Udupi (Karnataka): Cracking the case after a week, police on Thursday arrested three men in connection with the abduction and gang-rape of a 22-year-old medical student, with two of them allegedly making a futile suicide bid.
The breakthrough came as an accused Yogesh Shantappa Poojary (30), consumed poison and made a call to the Udupi Superintendent of Police`s office in the morning, confessing to his crime, IGP (Western Range) Pratap Reddy told reporters.
"He first consumed poison and then gave a call to us. He was groaning over phone and heard him saying the police will catch him, but will not let that happen," he said.
Police located Yogesh`s house through mobile tracker and rushed him to hospital, Reddy said, adding, he was now stable and recuperating.
During interrogation, Yogesh disclosed the name of his accomplice Hariprasad Poojary (26), Reddy said.
"In fact Hariprasad was questioned earlier while interrogating auto drivers," he said.
Yogesh and Hariprasad were auto-rikshaw drivers who had criminal records, he said. Both were arrested in Udupi.
After the two arrests, the third accused -- Anand (28) -- was nabbed from Sannakkibettu village near here while he was allegedly making an attempt to hang himself.
"The police, who were searching for him since morning near Onthibettu village, made timely intervention and prevented him from committing suicide. Anand has been rushed to KMC hospital and is undergoing treatment," he said.
Earlier in Bangalore, before the arrests were announced, Chief Minister Siddaramaiah said the accused would be tried by a fast-track court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state