Three arrested in Manipal gang-rape case
Udupi (Karnataka): Cracking the case after a week, police on Thursday arrested three men in connection with the abduction and gang-rape of a 22-year-old medical student, with two of them allegedly making a futile suicide bid.
The breakthrough came as an accused Yogesh Shantappa Poojary (30), consumed poison and made a call to the Udupi Superintendent of Police`s office in the morning, confessing to his crime, IGP (Western Range) Pratap Reddy told reporters.
"He first consumed poison and then gave a call to us. He was groaning over phone and heard him saying the police will catch him, but will not let that happen," he said.
Police located Yogesh`s house through mobile tracker and rushed him to hospital, Reddy said, adding, he was now stable and recuperating.
During interrogation, Yogesh disclosed the name of his accomplice Hariprasad Poojary (26), Reddy said.
"In fact Hariprasad was questioned earlier while interrogating auto drivers," he said.
Yogesh and Hariprasad were auto-rikshaw drivers who had criminal records, he said. Both were arrested in Udupi.
After the two arrests, the third accused -- Anand (28) -- was nabbed from Sannakkibettu village near here while he was allegedly making an attempt to hang himself.
"The police, who were searching for him since morning near Onthibettu village, made timely intervention and prevented him from committing suicide. Anand has been rushed to KMC hospital and is undergoing treatment," he said.
Earlier in Bangalore, before the arrests were announced, Chief Minister Siddaramaiah said the accused would be tried by a fast-track court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days