Three arrested in Manipal gang-rape case
Udupi (Karnataka): Cracking the case after a week, police on Thursday arrested three men in connection with the abduction and gang-rape of a 22-year-old medical student, with two of them allegedly making a futile suicide bid.
The breakthrough came as an accused Yogesh Shantappa Poojary (30), consumed poison and made a call to the Udupi Superintendent of Police`s office in the morning, confessing to his crime, IGP (Western Range) Pratap Reddy told reporters.
"He first consumed poison and then gave a call to us. He was groaning over phone and heard him saying the police will catch him, but will not let that happen," he said.
Police located Yogesh`s house through mobile tracker and rushed him to hospital, Reddy said, adding, he was now stable and recuperating.
During interrogation, Yogesh disclosed the name of his accomplice Hariprasad Poojary (26), Reddy said.
"In fact Hariprasad was questioned earlier while interrogating auto drivers," he said.
Yogesh and Hariprasad were auto-rikshaw drivers who had criminal records, he said. Both were arrested in Udupi.
After the two arrests, the third accused -- Anand (28) -- was nabbed from Sannakkibettu village near here while he was allegedly making an attempt to hang himself.
"The police, who were searching for him since morning near Onthibettu village, made timely intervention and prevented him from committing suicide. Anand has been rushed to KMC hospital and is undergoing treatment," he said.
Earlier in Bangalore, before the arrests were announced, Chief Minister Siddaramaiah said the accused would be tried by a fast-track court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened