Three assembly constituencies in K`taka to go polls on April 9
Bangalore: The Election Commission on Saturday
announced the schedule for bye-election on April nine in three
assembly constituencies in Karnataka.
Chennapatna, Jagalur (ST) and Bangarpet (SC)
constituencies will go to bypolls follow resignations by M C
Ashwath (JDS) from his Chennapatna seat and S V Ramachandra
and M Narayanaswamy (both Congress) from their assembly
memberships from Jagalur and Bangarapet constituencies
All three former MLAs later joined BJP, drawing
allegations from the opposition that ruling BJP had lured the
legislators as part of its "operation lotus".
The opposition alleged BJP revived `operation lotus`
after eleven of its rebel MLAs and five independents withdrew
support to Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa`s government in
Yeddyurappa, however, has denied the allegations, saying
those who were joining BJP were doing so "voluntarily".
EC has not taken a decision over holding a bypoll in
Koppal assembly constituency which fell vacant recently
following the resignation by JDS member Karadi Sanganna who
the opposition allege also quit due to `operation lotus`.
The 224-member Karnataka legislative assembly still has
Sixteen MLAs have been disqualified under the provisions
of the anti-defection law and Sanganna resigned on March 3.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail