Three assembly constituencies in K`taka to go polls on April 9
Bangalore: The Election Commission on Saturday
announced the schedule for bye-election on April nine in three
assembly constituencies in Karnataka.
Chennapatna, Jagalur (ST) and Bangarpet (SC)
constituencies will go to bypolls follow resignations by M C
Ashwath (JDS) from his Chennapatna seat and S V Ramachandra
and M Narayanaswamy (both Congress) from their assembly
memberships from Jagalur and Bangarapet constituencies
All three former MLAs later joined BJP, drawing
allegations from the opposition that ruling BJP had lured the
legislators as part of its "operation lotus".
The opposition alleged BJP revived `operation lotus`
after eleven of its rebel MLAs and five independents withdrew
support to Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa`s government in
Yeddyurappa, however, has denied the allegations, saying
those who were joining BJP were doing so "voluntarily".
EC has not taken a decision over holding a bypoll in
Koppal assembly constituency which fell vacant recently
following the resignation by JDS member Karadi Sanganna who
the opposition allege also quit due to `operation lotus`.
The 224-member Karnataka legislative assembly still has
Sixteen MLAs have been disqualified under the provisions
of the anti-defection law and Sanganna resigned on March 3.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy