Three assembly constituencies in K`taka to go polls on April 9
Bangalore: The Election Commission on Saturday
announced the schedule for bye-election on April nine in three
assembly constituencies in Karnataka.
Chennapatna, Jagalur (ST) and Bangarpet (SC)
constituencies will go to bypolls follow resignations by M C
Ashwath (JDS) from his Chennapatna seat and S V Ramachandra
and M Narayanaswamy (both Congress) from their assembly
memberships from Jagalur and Bangarapet constituencies
All three former MLAs later joined BJP, drawing
allegations from the opposition that ruling BJP had lured the
legislators as part of its "operation lotus".
The opposition alleged BJP revived `operation lotus`
after eleven of its rebel MLAs and five independents withdrew
support to Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa`s government in
Yeddyurappa, however, has denied the allegations, saying
those who were joining BJP were doing so "voluntarily".
EC has not taken a decision over holding a bypoll in
Koppal assembly constituency which fell vacant recently
following the resignation by JDS member Karadi Sanganna who
the opposition allege also quit due to `operation lotus`.
The 224-member Karnataka legislative assembly still has
Sixteen MLAs have been disqualified under the provisions
of the anti-defection law and Sanganna resigned on March 3.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH