`TN raking up Cauvery issue for political gain`
Shimoga: Karnataka government should
oppose Tamil Nadu`s demand for release of Cauvery water when
the farmers of Cauvery basin in the state are suffering due to
shortage of water during summer, former Chief Minister and
JD(S) president HD Kumaraswamy said on Sunday.
Speaking to reporters here, he said Tamil Nadu raking up
the water issue particularly during summer seems to be
"ridiculous and meaningless".
Tamil Nadu government is raising the water sharing issue
for "political gain and creating tension among farmers of
Karnataka", he alleged, adding he would press the state not to
budge or yield to the demand at any cost and take up awareness
and confidence building activities among farmers in the basin.
Tamil Nadu has filed an application in the Supreme Court
seeking to restrain Karnataka from resorting to summer
The two states are locked in decades-long dispute on
sharing waters of the river and the Cauvery Water Disputes
Tribunal, set up by the Centre, had in 2007 given its final
award, allocating 419 tmcft water to Tamil Nadu and 270 tmcft
to Karnataka annually.
However, Karnataka has challenged the award in the apex
court, alleging it gave a raw deal to the state overlooking
its requirements and rights.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive