‘Top Lokayukta cop shifted to sabotage BSY probe’
Bangalore: Former Karnataka Lokayukta
Justice N Santosh Hegde on Friday hit out at the state government
for transferring Lokayukta official Jeevan Kumar V Gaonkar,
alleging that it was an attempt to "sabotage" the probe
against former Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa and his family.
Government yesterday transferred Gaonkar, who was serving
as Additional Director General of Police, Karnataka Lokayukta,
and brought Satyanarayana Rao HN, Additional DGP, Crimes &
Technical Services, Bangalore, in his place.
Taking exception to the move, Hegde told PTI that the
Lokayukta police was conducting investigation against "quite
big people, powerful people" and said the conduct of Gaonkar
"looked positive" going by newspaper reports and "whatever he
submitted to the Special Lokayukta Court".
"That has created a lot of anger in the political
administration," the former Supreme Court judge, who is also a
key Team Anna member, said.
Without naming Yeddyurappa, who he indicted in his illegal
mining report that led to the BJP strongman`s exit as Chief
Minister, Hegde said: "Some people ultimately got bail and
they came out but enquiry against them, their family and
former colleagues is continuing".
He pointed to "sudden change (the transfer) without there
being a Lokayukta, without his opinion", and also referred to
newspaper reports that the Chief Secretary had objected to
Rao`s name at some point of time earlier.
"All this leads to one and only conclusion: this (the
transfer) was done for collateral purpose...to sabotage the
investigation", Hegde said. "What`s the mortal hurry to change
"An attempt is being made definitely... objective is
to defeat the investigation that`s being carried out", he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon