Train collision: K’taka MLA among lucky passengers
Penukonda (Andhra Pradesh): Karnataka MLA Amaregowda Bayyapura was among the lucky passengers of the ill-fated Hampi Express as he escaped unhurt when it collied with a goods train throwing three coaches ahead of their AC bogie off the rails and claiming 25 lives.
Bayyapura, who represents Kushtagi in Raichur district, said he was lucky to be alive as he was travelling in the fourth coach, 2-tier AC.
"I woke up to a loud thud and after alighting I saw two of the coaches on top of the engine and the wheels of the coaches broken apart," he told PTI.
The BJP MLA expressed grief over the death of a number poor labourers from Gadag, Koppal and Bellary who were travelling in the train.
At least 25 people including five members of a family from Bellary were killed and 43 injured when Bangalore-bound Hampi Express collided with a goods train at Penukonda Railway Station here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Obama promises aid to help Louisiana fully recover from flooding
- US investigating non-travel Zika case in new area in Florida
- Funny video alert! Nana Patekar’s ‘Beat Pe Booty’ mashup is hilarious
- Awwdorable photo alert! Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput and her baby bump
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer