Troubled anniversaries for key players in Karnataka suspense
Bangalore: The United Progressive Alliance (UPA) on Sunday entered its third year in office at New Delhi while Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa waited to know whether he will celebrate his third anniversary in office later this month.
The celebrations of UPA`s second anniversary in its second stint at power in New Delhi come amid major scandals over 2G spectrum allocation and the organisation of the Commonwealth Games.
Yeddyurappa, who will survive if the UPA government rejects Governor HR Bhardwaj`s report to dismiss his government, completes three years in office May 30.
He became the first Bharatiya Janata Party chief minister in south India May 30, 2008. However, his three-year rule has been troubled by dissidence and corruption charges.
Bhardwaj, the third key player in the continuing suspense over Yeddyurappa`s fate, quietly celebrated his 75th birthday here May 17, receiving a few bouquets and lots of brickbats for seeking the dismissal of the BJP government.
Bhardwaj recommended to the central government May 15 to sack Yeddyurappa ministry, two days after the Supreme Court restored membership of 16 law makers, 11 of the BJP and five Independents, who had been disqualified for rebelling against the chief minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing