Two ex-SBI officials get 3-yr jail term for fraud
Bangalore: Two former officials of State Bank of India and as many others have been convicted by a Special CBI court in a cheating case and sentenced them to three years of imprisonment with fine of Rs 2.20 lakh.
"The Special Judge for CBI cases, Bangalore, has convicted K Manjunath, the then Branch Manager, and H S Ganapathy, the then Deputy Manager, both of State Bank of India, besides K N Balagangadhara Sharma and S K Shetty (both private persons) and sentenced them to undergo three years of imprisonment with fine Rs 2.20 lakh," a CBI spokesperson said in a statement.
The CBI had filed a charge sheet after completion of probe against Manjunath and the three others for criminal conspiracy to cheating and other relevant provisions of Prevention of Corruption Act, it said.
"The allegations as per the charge sheet were that Manjunath had entered into criminal conspiracy with the other accused persons in the matter of cheque discounting facility extended to Easwari Marketing Services owned by Sharma," the statement said.
It said in furtherance of the said conspiracy during the period from July 4, 2003 to October 31, 2003, both the bank officers had purchased 183 cheques presented by Sharma as issued by the firm of Shetty and others.
"They exceeded their financial powers without any authorisation from the competent authority. The act of the accused persons had caused a wrongful loss of Rs 82.73 lakh (approx) to the State Bank of India and corresponding wrongful gain to the accused persons," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- British PM to put stamp on Brexit before G20 summit
- Germany's top immigration officer anticipates 300,000 refugees in 2016
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway