Two ex-SBI officials get 3-yr jail term for fraud
Bangalore: Two former officials of State Bank of India and as many others have been convicted by a Special CBI court in a cheating case and sentenced them to three years of imprisonment with fine of Rs 2.20 lakh.
"The Special Judge for CBI cases, Bangalore, has convicted K Manjunath, the then Branch Manager, and H S Ganapathy, the then Deputy Manager, both of State Bank of India, besides K N Balagangadhara Sharma and S K Shetty (both private persons) and sentenced them to undergo three years of imprisonment with fine Rs 2.20 lakh," a CBI spokesperson said in a statement.
The CBI had filed a charge sheet after completion of probe against Manjunath and the three others for criminal conspiracy to cheating and other relevant provisions of Prevention of Corruption Act, it said.
"The allegations as per the charge sheet were that Manjunath had entered into criminal conspiracy with the other accused persons in the matter of cheque discounting facility extended to Easwari Marketing Services owned by Sharma," the statement said.
It said in furtherance of the said conspiracy during the period from July 4, 2003 to October 31, 2003, both the bank officers had purchased 183 cheques presented by Sharma as issued by the firm of Shetty and others.
"They exceeded their financial powers without any authorisation from the competent authority. The act of the accused persons had caused a wrongful loss of Rs 82.73 lakh (approx) to the State Bank of India and corresponding wrongful gain to the accused persons," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read