Two held in Karnataka Jain Temple theft case
Bhubaneswar: Karnataka Police have arrested two persons from here in connection with the theft of antiques from a Jain Temple near Mangalore and seized about 1 kg gold from their possession.
The arrested persons were identified as Diptimayee Mohanty, wife of Santosh Das, the prime accused in the theft case and Digambar Mohanty, his father-in-law. Santosh is still at large.
"This is the first arrest in the case. We arrested both on charges of abetment. They refused to divulge details of Santosh," said a Mangalore police officer.
Police are, however, yet to confirm whether 1 kg gold, seized from Santosh`s bank locker, was stolen from the Jain temple.
"As Santosh is an inter-state thief, we are verifying the source from which he got the gold. We suspect his involvement in some jewellery theft in the city," said DCP (Bhubaneswar) Nitinjeet Singh.
Two days ago, the Karnataka Police with help of local police had seized some miniature idols of precious metals, gold ingots weighing 1.12 kg, gemstones and Rs 2 lakh cash, total worth about Rs 3 crore from a house at Chandrasekharpur here.
At least 15 Jain idols made of gold, pearls, precious stones and diamond, were stolen on July 5 night from Siddantha Mandir of Guru Basadi in Moodbidri, locally known as ‘Jain Kashi’. The shrine had total 64 idols of religious importance to Jains.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez