Two Manipuri girls rescued from Bangalore
Imphal: Two Manipuri girls, who were allegedly trafficked to Bangalore on the pretext of being provided with jobs as beauticians, have been rescued by an NGO.
After learning that the two 19-year-old girls from Churachandpur district were cheated by an agent who handed them over to another for working as domestic helps, the Kuki Students` Association said today that a complaint was filed with the Churachandpur police station.
Assistance was also sought from NGO, Praja Rajakiya Vedike (PRV).
The PRV found the two girls who were taken by a train to Bangalore two-and-a-half-months ago, working as maids, the KSO said.
They were taken to Bangalore on the promise of jobs in beauty parlours at a salary of Rs 5000 per month along with free food and accommodation, the KSO said.
The two would be brought back to Manipur soon, the student body said.
Official sources said that ten children trafficked to a northern state and employed as domestic helps were brought home about two months ago.
The sources said the government was aware of trafficking of children and young girls from the state to other states to work as domestic helps on the pretext of either educating them or providing jobs.
The Social Welfare Department has been asked to find ways to prevent the frequent trafficking of children, the sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’