Two Manipuri girls rescued from Bangalore
Imphal: Two Manipuri girls, who were allegedly trafficked to Bangalore on the pretext of being provided with jobs as beauticians, have been rescued by an NGO.
After learning that the two 19-year-old girls from Churachandpur district were cheated by an agent who handed them over to another for working as domestic helps, the Kuki Students` Association said today that a complaint was filed with the Churachandpur police station.
Assistance was also sought from NGO, Praja Rajakiya Vedike (PRV).
The PRV found the two girls who were taken by a train to Bangalore two-and-a-half-months ago, working as maids, the KSO said.
They were taken to Bangalore on the promise of jobs in beauty parlours at a salary of Rs 5000 per month along with free food and accommodation, the KSO said.
The two would be brought back to Manipur soon, the student body said.
Official sources said that ten children trafficked to a northern state and employed as domestic helps were brought home about two months ago.
The sources said the government was aware of trafficking of children and young girls from the state to other states to work as domestic helps on the pretext of either educating them or providing jobs.
The Social Welfare Department has been asked to find ways to prevent the frequent trafficking of children, the sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader