Two nabbed in murder of retd IISC Prof & family
Bangalore: Two more persons have been arrested in connection with the murder of a retired Professor of Indian Institute of Science, his wife and mentally retarded son in the city in 2009, taking the total number of those nabbed so far to four, a top police official said on Tuesday.
Mohammad Sarbal (33), from Muzaffarpur in Bihar, who was running a catering business here and Bidan Shikari (26) of 24 South Paraganas district in West Bengal were arrested here on Nov 25 and Rs 1.30 lakh worth valuables recovered from them, City Police Commissioner Shankar Bidari told reporters on Tuesday.
He said the duo were nabbed based on information provided by Deepak Haldar (30) and Suchitra Haldar (26), who were arrested in 24 Parganas District on November 12. They were working as domestic help in Prof.Purshottam Lal Sachdev`s house in RT Nagar and had fled to Bengal after the murder.
Another person allegedly involved in the murder is absconding and efforts are on to trace him, Bidari said.
"All four had conspired to murder the wealthy Professor for monetary gain but ended up eliminating the whole family as they would have deposed as witnesses,` he said.
Purshottam Lal Sachdev (71) was found strangled with a veil while his wife Rita (62) and their mentally challenged son Munna (35) were found strangled with a cable wire in their house in RT Nagar area here on February 15, 2009.
The couple originally from Punjab had settled down in Bangalore for over 30 years ago and adopted 23 year-old Anurag alias Happy, a few years back.
Subsequently the police had formed two special teams to
crack the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets