Two nabbed in murder of retd IISC Prof & family
Bangalore: Two more persons have been arrested in connection with the murder of a retired Professor of Indian Institute of Science, his wife and mentally retarded son in the city in 2009, taking the total number of those nabbed so far to four, a top police official said on Tuesday.
Mohammad Sarbal (33), from Muzaffarpur in Bihar, who was running a catering business here and Bidan Shikari (26) of 24 South Paraganas district in West Bengal were arrested here on Nov 25 and Rs 1.30 lakh worth valuables recovered from them, City Police Commissioner Shankar Bidari told reporters on Tuesday.
He said the duo were nabbed based on information provided by Deepak Haldar (30) and Suchitra Haldar (26), who were arrested in 24 Parganas District on November 12. They were working as domestic help in Prof.Purshottam Lal Sachdev`s house in RT Nagar and had fled to Bengal after the murder.
Another person allegedly involved in the murder is absconding and efforts are on to trace him, Bidari said.
"All four had conspired to murder the wealthy Professor for monetary gain but ended up eliminating the whole family as they would have deposed as witnesses,` he said.
Purshottam Lal Sachdev (71) was found strangled with a veil while his wife Rita (62) and their mentally challenged son Munna (35) were found strangled with a cable wire in their house in RT Nagar area here on February 15, 2009.
The couple originally from Punjab had settled down in Bangalore for over 30 years ago and adopted 23 year-old Anurag alias Happy, a few years back.
Subsequently the police had formed two special teams to
crack the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!