Two tax officials convicted in Bangalore for graft
New Delhi: Two tax officials have been convicted by a special CBI court in Bangalore in bribery cases and sentenced to two years of imprisonment.
"The special judge for CBI cases, Bangalore has convicted A Vanangamudi, then Superintendent of Service Tax, Service Tax Commissionerate, Bangalore to undergo two years Simple Imprisonment with fine Rs 20,000 in a bribery case," CBI spokesperson said here on Friday in a statement.
Vanangamudi was caught while demanding and accepting a bribe of Rs 25,000 from a businessman for not imposing heavy service tax liability on his firm and closing the case file, it said.
"In an another case, the special judge for CBI cases, Bangalore has convicted D Shashireka, then Income Tax Inspector, working in the office of Commissioner of Income Tax-I, Income Tax Appellate Tribunal, Bangalore and sentenced her to undergo two years Simple Imprisonment with fine of Rs 20,000 in a bribery case," it said.
The spokesperson said probe revealed that Shashireka was caught while accepting illegal gratification of Rs 10,000 from the complainant for processing the file for a lower rate of TDS deduction U/s 197 of Income Tax Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America