Two tax officials convicted in Bangalore for graft
New Delhi: Two tax officials have been convicted by a special CBI court in Bangalore in bribery cases and sentenced to two years of imprisonment.
"The special judge for CBI cases, Bangalore has convicted A Vanangamudi, then Superintendent of Service Tax, Service Tax Commissionerate, Bangalore to undergo two years Simple Imprisonment with fine Rs 20,000 in a bribery case," CBI spokesperson said here on Friday in a statement.
Vanangamudi was caught while demanding and accepting a bribe of Rs 25,000 from a businessman for not imposing heavy service tax liability on his firm and closing the case file, it said.
"In an another case, the special judge for CBI cases, Bangalore has convicted D Shashireka, then Income Tax Inspector, working in the office of Commissioner of Income Tax-I, Income Tax Appellate Tribunal, Bangalore and sentenced her to undergo two years Simple Imprisonment with fine of Rs 20,000 in a bribery case," it said.
The spokesperson said probe revealed that Shashireka was caught while accepting illegal gratification of Rs 10,000 from the complainant for processing the file for a lower rate of TDS deduction U/s 197 of Income Tax Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth