Two tax officials convicted in Bangalore for graft
New Delhi: Two tax officials have been convicted by a special CBI court in Bangalore in bribery cases and sentenced to two years of imprisonment.
"The special judge for CBI cases, Bangalore has convicted A Vanangamudi, then Superintendent of Service Tax, Service Tax Commissionerate, Bangalore to undergo two years Simple Imprisonment with fine Rs 20,000 in a bribery case," CBI spokesperson said here on Friday in a statement.
Vanangamudi was caught while demanding and accepting a bribe of Rs 25,000 from a businessman for not imposing heavy service tax liability on his firm and closing the case file, it said.
"In an another case, the special judge for CBI cases, Bangalore has convicted D Shashireka, then Income Tax Inspector, working in the office of Commissioner of Income Tax-I, Income Tax Appellate Tribunal, Bangalore and sentenced her to undergo two years Simple Imprisonment with fine of Rs 20,000 in a bribery case," it said.
The spokesperson said probe revealed that Shashireka was caught while accepting illegal gratification of Rs 10,000 from the complainant for processing the file for a lower rate of TDS deduction U/s 197 of Income Tax Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy