Unseasonal rains, lightning claims 17 lives in Karnataka
Bangalore: As many as 17 people died in lightning strikes and unseasonal summer rain-related incidents in Karnataka in the last four days, officials said on Friday.
While lightning claimed 14 lives in nine districts, house collapses triggered by heavy rains left three persons dead, revenue officials said here.
Yesterday alone, seven persons were killed in lightning in different places, they said here.
Hassan district accounted for maximum of three deaths due to lightning strikes followed by Shimoga, Chamarajanagar and Haveri (two each) and Ramanagara, Bellary, Bagalkot, Dharwad and Gadag one each.
House collapses killed two persons in Ramanagara and one in Udupi, the officials said.
In Yembhatahalli in Bijapur district, about 35 houses were damaged in the heavy rains, but no casualties were reported, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- British PM Theresa May heads to N. Ireland for Brexit talks
- Rio Olympics: WADA 'disappointed' as IOC fails to ban Russia for mega event
- Al Qaeda chief urges kidnappings of Westerners for prisoner swaps - SITE
- Japan logs first half-year trade surplus since Fukushima
- Attacks on France, Germany their own fault: Donald Trump