Unseasonal rains, lightning claims 17 lives in Karnataka
Bangalore: As many as 17 people died in lightning strikes and unseasonal summer rain-related incidents in Karnataka in the last four days, officials said on Friday.
While lightning claimed 14 lives in nine districts, house collapses triggered by heavy rains left three persons dead, revenue officials said here.
Yesterday alone, seven persons were killed in lightning in different places, they said here.
Hassan district accounted for maximum of three deaths due to lightning strikes followed by Shimoga, Chamarajanagar and Haveri (two each) and Ramanagara, Bellary, Bagalkot, Dharwad and Gadag one each.
House collapses killed two persons in Ramanagara and one in Udupi, the officials said.
In Yembhatahalli in Bijapur district, about 35 houses were damaged in the heavy rains, but no casualties were reported, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof