‘Upset’ Yeddyurappa back in jail
Bangalore: Former Karnataka chief minister BS Yeddyurappa, who is accused of involvement in a land scam, on Wednesday shifted back to Parappana Agrahara Jail here from the government-run Victoria Hospital.
Yeddyurappa voluntarily got himself discharged from the hospital this morning after reports said he was “hurt” by senior party leader LK Advani’s remarks on him.
According to TV channels, Advani’s remarks on Tuesday that corruption is weakening the party have hurt Yeddyurappa, who was on Saturday sent to judicial custody till October 22 after his bail was rejected by a special Lokayukta court in connection with illegal land denotification cases.
TV channels also said that speculative media reports on Yeddyurappa’s health, claiming the former CM was trying to stay out of jail, have also “upset” the BJP leader.
State Housing Minister V Somanna was quoted as saying that Yeddyurappa was hurt and wanted to return to jail.
Advani had yesterday virtually admitted embarrassment on account of Yeddyurappa`s arrest, saying it will be difficult to win against the "corrupt" Congress if his party too is bedevilled by similar weaknesses.
Addressing a press conference, Advani initially parried a question on Yeddyurappa but later admitted that the party suffered embarrassment on account of former Karnataka CM’s arrest.
"We don`t take our internal weaknesses lightly. This thing was vindicated in Karnataka clearly. We had cautioned him but once the report (of Lokayukta on illegal mining) came, he had to quit. Small mistakes by others is embarrassing the party leadership. There may be chances of a slip up so I am telling everyone in the party to remain vigilant," he said.
After his bail plea was rejected on Saturday, Yeddyurappa surrendered before the court and was sent to jail. However, he was shifted to the state-run Jayadeva Institute of Cardiology early Sunday morning after he complained of chest pain.
On Tuesday, the state-run heart speciality centre discharged the former CM after tests showed show that the condition of his heart was normal and stable, but he then moved to the government-run Victoria Hospital.
The development came hours after the Karnataka High Court on Tuesday deferred till Thursday hearing on his interim bail plea in the land scam case.
Jayadeva Institute Director Dr CN Manjunath had said yesterday that Yeddyurappa suffers from other medical problems like diabetes, hypertension, hypothyroidism, backache and reactive airway disease and Parkinson, besides high sodium levels in the blood and depression.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’