UR Ananthamurthy`s death mourned
Bangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Friday condoled the death of Jnanpith award winner UR Ananthamurthy, saying it was a great loss to the state literary world and describing him as "an ocean of thoughts”.
Remembering Ananthamurthy as one of the pioneers of the "Navya" (new) movement in Kannada literature, Siddaramaiah said he advocated that literary personalities should have social responsibility and always responded to things that are of public interest and raised his voice for it.
The Chief Minister said Ananthamurthy was a true socialist and a "public intellectual." Ananthmurthy had his unique opinion about various issues and used to analyse things differently as he was "an ocean of thoughts."
He was a true ambassador of Kannada literature, and it has become poorer with his death, he added.
Former chief minister HD Kumaraswamy in his condolence message said Ananthamurthy had brought laurels to the state through his literature. He was known for his ideological writings and stands he took.
Karnataka state BJP president Pralhad Joshi said in Ananthamurthy`s death Karnataka has lost a great scholar and a thinker.
Former Infosys Chief Financial Officer Mohandas Pai tweeted: "U R Ananthmurthy`s sad demise is a great loss for India. A man of great intellect, charm, integrity, liberal to a fault, a great patriot."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video