Veerappan`s wife for CBI probe into STF atrocities
Bangalore: Muthulakshmi, wife of slain forest
brigand Veerappan, on Friday sought a CBI probe into alleged
atrocities committed by Special Task Force personnel during
the hunt to nab him.
Hitting out at former DGP and IG of Karnataka S M Bidari,
Muthulakshmi described Bidari who was then Deputy Commander of
the Special Task Force, constituted to nab Veerappan, as "an
inhuman person with no concern for women whatsoever".
Addressing a press meet here, she recounted the alleged
atrocities committed by STF against tribal women, including
rape and administering electric shocks, and said "the very
reason we did not speak about this was that we were in mortal
fear of losing our lives".
Muthulakshmi alleged that she was not allowed to express
her opinion before the Sadashiva Commission, which probed
the alleged atrocities of the STF, as she was in custody of
Tamil Nadu police then.
In response to the Karnataka High Court striking down the
appointment of Bidari as state DGP and IG recently, she said "
it is a good judgement. However, I want the FBI to probe the
atrocities committed by the SPF in Kant".
Referring to a film being made on Varian "Ahas"
(Kannada) and "Vanyudham" (its Tamil version) by M R Ramesh, a
resident of Bangalore, she said she had filed a plea in Madras
High Court seeking a stay on the movie and it is pending.
"The person has no right to make a film about the personal
life of my late husband or me. It violates human rights", she
Veerappan, who was embroiled in cases of murder and
poaching besides smuggling of sandalwood, was shot dead by the
Special task force of the Tamil Nadu police in 2004.
Muthulakshmi was handed over to Tamil Nadu police on April
25,2011 in connection with a case pending against her in Erode
district after being released from Bangalore Central Prison at
Parappana Agrahara following her acquittal in all the five
cases against her in Karnataka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday