We will challenge HC order in Supreme Court: MLAs Counsel
Bangalore: The 11 disqualified BJP MLAs in Karnataka on Friday said they would challenge in the Supreme Court the High Court ruling which upheld the Speaker`s order.
"We will challenge the Karnataka High Court order in the Supreme Court after going through the contents of the judgement. Whatever options are available to us in law, we
will explore", AS Ponnana, one of the counsel for the petitioners, told a news agency.
Meanwhile, senior counsel for Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa, Satyapal Jain, said he "welcomes the judgment of the Karnataka High Court, which is the first judgement on
anti-defection law from this honourable court".
The order, he said has "upheld the spirit behind the anti defection law, which was unanimously passed by the Parliament. It gives a green signal to all elected representatives – MPs and MLAs -- that you have to fall in line with the majority
and unanimous view of the party concerned and in case you differ from that, the only option before you is to resign from the party, the seat and seek fresh election from the
"You cannot remain in the party and hobnob with other political parties", Jain said.
He said the judgment "will go a long way" in upholding parliamentary democracy. "It will discourage defection and encourage collective wisdom of the party in parliamentary
On MLAs challenging the court order, Jain said "I am sure, if they approach the Supreme Court, they will lose the case".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’