Will act as per law: Bhardwaj on Lokayukta report
Bangalore: Spelling more trouble for the Karnataka Chief Minister, Governor HR Bhardwaj on Friday indicated that he would take action on the recommendations of
state Lokayukta on illegal mining, which had indicted BS Yeddyurappa.
"..Whatever he (Karnataka Lokayukta Justice N Santosh Hegde) will recommend, I will go according to that. I am not going to do anything (else)", Bhardwaj told reporters in response to questions on the sidelines of a function here.
"I will give my serious thought to whatever he recommends and you will know my action the moment I get the report", he said, adding, he expects the report to be
submitted to the government on Monday.
Bhardwaj, who has been at loggerheads with Yeddyurappa, said, "And if as a competent authority, he (Lokayukta) sends the report to me, then I will deal with it
according to the Lokayukta Act (secion 12 and 13)".
Asked if the Chief Minister should resign, he said: "I tell you, you come after two days. You will know everything", but hastened to add: "Don`t anticipate. He is the elected Chief Minister. I cannot speak about him unless I see it (the report). How can I reply (now on whether he should resign).
In a damning indictment of Yeddyurappa, Hegde said yesterday that there was "substantive" evidence against the chief minister and others in the "huge racket" of illegal mining that caused a loss of over Rs 1,800 crore to the state in 14 months.
Asked if it comes under his purview to take action against the Chief Minister and other ministers vis-a-vis the Lokayukta report, Bhardwaj said he is the only constitutional authority to recommend or take action against the Government
and Chief Minister.
Asked what action he would take if the report indeed indicted the Chief Minister and four ministers, the Governor said he would have to see "what`s written about" the Chief Minister, ministers and others, adding, all these matters need to be studied.
Bhardwaj said he respects Justice Hegde a lot and hasknown him since the days he was Advocate General when Ramakrishna Hegde was Karnataka Chief Minister. "I have old friendship with him. He is a very respected (former) Judge in
It was he after he assumed charge as the Governor who raised the (illegal) mining issue but the government kept saying that "nothing is happening".
Now the Supreme Court itself is dealing with the issue of illegal mining, and the Karnataka government had also asked Justice Hegde to probe it.
Noting that the report is yet to be submitted, the Governor said as one who holds constitutional office he cannot comment on the leaked information, and neither can he talk about his proposed action, lest he would be accused of being "biased and this and that".
Asked if the Chief Minister had deliberately chosen to go on holiday abroad, the Governor said it`s Yeddyurappa`s choice but had a dig at him, saying one can judge for oneself about it as he had taken a break at a time when people are suffering because of floods in parts of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared