Will act on illegal mining report: Shivaraj Patil
Bangalore: Karnataka Lokayukta Shivaraj Patil on Tuesday said he would act on the illegal mining report submitted
by his predecessor and Governor Bhardwaj`s recommendation to
initiate criminal proceedings against indicted former Chief
Minister B S Yeddyurappa.
"I have almost read the voluminous mining scam report. I
will examine the provisions available under the law to
initiate action in this regard," Patil told reporters here.
Patil also said he would read the Governor`s letter and
take appropriate steps to initiate criminal proceedings
Yeddyurappa, who had to quit as Chief Minister following the
indictment by the previous Lokayukta Santosh Hegde.
The Governor had recommended Lokayukta to initiate criminal
proceedings against Yeddyurappa.
To another question,he said Lokayukta police would probe the
complaint against Yeddyurappa, alleging irregularities in the
Upper Bhadra irrigation project, which was referred to it for
probe by a local court yesterday.
He said the Lokayukta would draw up a roadmap and an
action plan by month-end to address issues on improving
functioning of Lokayukta. "I would like to suggest to the
government to launch online registration of property documents
and install CCTVs in government offices to check corruption."
Patil also said the conviction rate in corruption cases
handled by Lokayukta in 2011 shot up to 45 per cent, compared
to six to seven per cent a few years back.
- What an idea! Here's why NCP workers in Maharashtra danced in 'Nagin' style - Watch video
- John Kerry to travel to Geneva on Sunday in show of support for Syria ceasefire: US
- Istanbul braces for police lockdown on May Day
- Jat leaders to hold ‘jail bharo’ movement in Haryana today, section 144 imposed in Jind
- PM Modi to launch solar-powered boats in Varanasi today, visit to Ballia also on cards