Will not engage in negative campaign against Yeddy: Geetha
Bangalore: JDS` Geetha Shivarajkumar on Tuesday said she would not engage in negative campaign against her rival BJP strongman BS Yeddyurappa in her fight for Shimoga Lok Sabha seat, but would focus on her late father and former Chief Minister S Bangarappa`s developmental works.
"I am very new to politics. I will not engage in negative campaigning against Yeddyurappa, who is a very senior leader. I will campaign on what my father did for the constituency," Geetha, wife of leading Kannada actor Shivarajkumar, told reporters here.
Former Prime Minister HD Deve Gowda led JDS is pinning hopes of winning the seat in the wake of its victory in Shimoga Rural, Bhadravati and Sorab constituencies in the district in the May 8 Assembly polls last year.
Asked about her confidence in taking on a seasoned politician like Yeddyurappa, she said, "I have faith in voters of Shimoga. I want to continue good work done by my father."
To a query, Geetha said she was ready to face the poll outcome and would continue to be in politics. She also said the decision to enter into politics was his family`s.
Shivarajkumar is a son of Kannada thespian late Rajkumar whose family had kept away from politics.
Reminded about Rajkumar`s reluctance to join politics, Shivarajkumar said that was his father`s perception, but felt many women should come into politics as done by Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa and Indira Gandhi.
"After all, we are not committing any mistake by joining politics," the Sandalwood actor added.
Asked if he would campaign for JDS, Shivarajkumar said he would only do it for his wife. "I would also not do it for any other party, if somebody approaches me," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan