Will not engage in negative campaign against Yeddy: Geetha
Bangalore: JDS` Geetha Shivarajkumar on Tuesday said she would not engage in negative campaign against her rival BJP strongman BS Yeddyurappa in her fight for Shimoga Lok Sabha seat, but would focus on her late father and former Chief Minister S Bangarappa`s developmental works.
"I am very new to politics. I will not engage in negative campaigning against Yeddyurappa, who is a very senior leader. I will campaign on what my father did for the constituency," Geetha, wife of leading Kannada actor Shivarajkumar, told reporters here.
Former Prime Minister HD Deve Gowda led JDS is pinning hopes of winning the seat in the wake of its victory in Shimoga Rural, Bhadravati and Sorab constituencies in the district in the May 8 Assembly polls last year.
Asked about her confidence in taking on a seasoned politician like Yeddyurappa, she said, "I have faith in voters of Shimoga. I want to continue good work done by my father."
To a query, Geetha said she was ready to face the poll outcome and would continue to be in politics. She also said the decision to enter into politics was his family`s.
Shivarajkumar is a son of Kannada thespian late Rajkumar whose family had kept away from politics.
Reminded about Rajkumar`s reluctance to join politics, Shivarajkumar said that was his father`s perception, but felt many women should come into politics as done by Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa and Indira Gandhi.
"After all, we are not committing any mistake by joining politics," the Sandalwood actor added.
Asked if he would campaign for JDS, Shivarajkumar said he would only do it for his wife. "I would also not do it for any other party, if somebody approaches me," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach