Will not engage in negative campaign against Yeddy: Geetha
Bangalore: JDS` Geetha Shivarajkumar on Tuesday said she would not engage in negative campaign against her rival BJP strongman BS Yeddyurappa in her fight for Shimoga Lok Sabha seat, but would focus on her late father and former Chief Minister S Bangarappa`s developmental works.
"I am very new to politics. I will not engage in negative campaigning against Yeddyurappa, who is a very senior leader. I will campaign on what my father did for the constituency," Geetha, wife of leading Kannada actor Shivarajkumar, told reporters here.
Former Prime Minister HD Deve Gowda led JDS is pinning hopes of winning the seat in the wake of its victory in Shimoga Rural, Bhadravati and Sorab constituencies in the district in the May 8 Assembly polls last year.
Asked about her confidence in taking on a seasoned politician like Yeddyurappa, she said, "I have faith in voters of Shimoga. I want to continue good work done by my father."
To a query, Geetha said she was ready to face the poll outcome and would continue to be in politics. She also said the decision to enter into politics was his family`s.
Shivarajkumar is a son of Kannada thespian late Rajkumar whose family had kept away from politics.
Reminded about Rajkumar`s reluctance to join politics, Shivarajkumar said that was his father`s perception, but felt many women should come into politics as done by Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa and Indira Gandhi.
"After all, we are not committing any mistake by joining politics," the Sandalwood actor added.
Asked if he would campaign for JDS, Shivarajkumar said he would only do it for his wife. "I would also not do it for any other party, if somebody approaches me," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Indian Army prepares to secure Arunachal Pradesh from China
- Javed Miandad asks Misbah-ul-Haq to call off retirement plans to ensure Pakistan's future success
- Salman Khan's sister Arpita's house robbed; cash, goods worth Rs 3.25 lakh stolen
- Severe obesity alone can increase heart failure risk
- Fertilizer factory tank leaks, 35 ill in Bangladesh
- Pace of new bad loan formation has decelerated: RBI