Will not tone down Lokayukta in K’taka: Governor
Bangalore: Karnataka Governor HR Bhardwaj
today said he would not allow "toning down" and "downgrading"
of Lokayukta institution in the state as he stuck to his
position that the government`s recommendation on the new head
to the anti-corruption body is not acceptable to him.
"I don`t go back on my words. Whatever I have said will be
done. But I have to give opportunity to the government and
when they are open to dialogue we will see that (we will be
able) to reconcile", he told reporters on the sidelines of a
The state government had recommended SR Bannurmath,
former Chief Justice of Kerala High Court, for the post but
Bhardwaj asked it to suggest some other names, citing reports
about controversial land allotment to Bannurmath.
Earlier this month, the Governor had also said: "I will
give you the Supreme Court judgement against the gentleman
(Bannurmath). But I don`t want to say publicly because he is a
former Chief Justice".
The government has maintained that it can take a call on
the new name only after the Governor rejected its
recommendation on Bannurmath.
Bhardwaj said on Friday: "I have explained to you: this is
an institution of integrity. I will not tone down Lokayukta in
Karnataka. And the national mood also is the same that we
should upgrade these institutions rather than downgrade them".
The post of Lokayukta is lying vacant since early September
after Shivraj Patil, who succeeded Santosh Hegde, resigned as
the anti-corruption watchdog in the wake of allegations of
irregularities in securing allotment of government land.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India