Will quit if not able to stop illegal mining: Yeddyurappa
Bangalore: Claiming that over three crore
iron ore tons worth over Rs 12,000 crore was illegally shifted
out of the country since 2003, Karnataka Chief Minister B S
Yeddyurappa said he will quit if he failed to put an end
to plundering of the natural resources in the state.
He was replying to a lengthy discussion in the
Legislative Council on the issue of resignation (and
subsequent withdrawal) of Karnataka Lokayukta Santhosh Hegde
and illegal mining.
"In 2009-10 alone, about 71 lakh tons of iron ore were
illegally shipped out of Karnataka," he said.
Claiming that leaders of different political parties were
directly or indirectly involved in illegal mining, he said
only Centre could curb the menace through special legislation
and appealed Opposition leaders to join a delegation to meet
the prime minister on the issue.
Denying charges that he was under pressure from mining
barons who were also members of his cabinet, Yeddyurappa
retorted that former chief ministers H D Kumaraswamy and N
Dharam Singh have taken decisions "detrimental to the
interests" of the people (in issuing mining leases).
Listing various measures he had taken against illegal
mining, Yeddyurappa said his government had not granted any
fresh licence and made it a policy to allow mining only to
those units which were in the nature of value addition.
Strongly refuting charges of the Opposition that he was
helpless in taking strong measures to stop illegal mining, he
assured the House that he would rather chose to quit the
office if he feels weak to take action against the menace and
go before the people seeking fresh mandate.
"I never came under any pressure from any organisation or
any individuals in taking action against the illegal mining,"
an emotionally choked Yeddyurappa said.
Opposition Congress and JDS, demanding a CBI inquiry into
illegal mining, staged a dharna in the well of House while
Chairman D H Shankaramurthy adjourned the House for tomorrow.
Opposition leader Motamma told reporters later that
members would continue their protest till their demand for a
CBI inquiry was met.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered