`Withdraw proposed bill on Hyderabad-Karnataka status`
Bangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar on Saturday demanded that the Centre withdraw the proposed Constitution amendment bill granting special status to Hyderabad-Karnataka region and reintroduce it after consulting the state government.
"We fully support the Parliamentary Standing Committee`s suggestion to the Centre to withdraw the proposed Constitution amendment bill granting special status to Hyderabad-Karnataka region and reintroduce it after consulting the Karnataka government," he told reporters here.
Shettar said the Centre should instead provide matching grants to the region as given to Telangana region in Andhra Pradesh.
"It is not enough for the centre to confer special status to the region under Art. 371 of the Constitution... It should provide matching grants to Hyderabad-Karnataka region as it gives to Telangana region," he said.
The Chief Minister further said the ruling BJP is fully committed to work for development of the region. "There should not any doubt with regard to this," he said.
At a separate press meet, Union Labour Minister Mallikarjun Kharge countered Shettar`s remarks, saying that Venkaiah Naidu, heading the Parliamentary Panel on Home Affairs, is being `misled` and urged him to drop his demand for withdrawal of the proposed bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared