`Withdraw proposed bill on Hyderabad-Karnataka status`
Bangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar on Saturday demanded that the Centre withdraw the proposed Constitution amendment bill granting special status to Hyderabad-Karnataka region and reintroduce it after consulting the state government.
"We fully support the Parliamentary Standing Committee`s suggestion to the Centre to withdraw the proposed Constitution amendment bill granting special status to Hyderabad-Karnataka region and reintroduce it after consulting the Karnataka government," he told reporters here.
Shettar said the Centre should instead provide matching grants to the region as given to Telangana region in Andhra Pradesh.
"It is not enough for the centre to confer special status to the region under Art. 371 of the Constitution... It should provide matching grants to Hyderabad-Karnataka region as it gives to Telangana region," he said.
The Chief Minister further said the ruling BJP is fully committed to work for development of the region. "There should not any doubt with regard to this," he said.
At a separate press meet, Union Labour Minister Mallikarjun Kharge countered Shettar`s remarks, saying that Venkaiah Naidu, heading the Parliamentary Panel on Home Affairs, is being `misled` and urged him to drop his demand for withdrawal of the proposed bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani attempted suicide or big security lapse by jail authorities?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch