`Withdraw proposed bill on Hyderabad-Karnataka status`
Bangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar on Saturday demanded that the Centre withdraw the proposed Constitution amendment bill granting special status to Hyderabad-Karnataka region and reintroduce it after consulting the state government.
"We fully support the Parliamentary Standing Committee`s suggestion to the Centre to withdraw the proposed Constitution amendment bill granting special status to Hyderabad-Karnataka region and reintroduce it after consulting the Karnataka government," he told reporters here.
Shettar said the Centre should instead provide matching grants to the region as given to Telangana region in Andhra Pradesh.
"It is not enough for the centre to confer special status to the region under Art. 371 of the Constitution... It should provide matching grants to Hyderabad-Karnataka region as it gives to Telangana region," he said.
The Chief Minister further said the ruling BJP is fully committed to work for development of the region. "There should not any doubt with regard to this," he said.
At a separate press meet, Union Labour Minister Mallikarjun Kharge countered Shettar`s remarks, saying that Venkaiah Naidu, heading the Parliamentary Panel on Home Affairs, is being `misled` and urged him to drop his demand for withdrawal of the proposed bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read