Without CBI, Lokpal a mere complainant: Hegde
Bangalore: Criticising government`s move to
keep CBI out of the purview of Lokpal, Team Anna member N Santosh Hegde Wednesday said the step would reduce the anti-corruption watchdog to a mere complainant which is not acceptable.
"This is unacceptable totally because now they are trying
to make the Lokpal institution just a complainant, not an
investigative agency", the former Supreme Court judge said.
Lokpal Bill was cleared last night by the Union Cabinet.
The new Bill will be a Constitution amendment Bill which will also bring the Prime Minister under the ambit of Lokpal with certain riders.
The Bill, however, keeps the CBI out of purview of Lokpal
except on cases which are referred to it by the latter. The
Lokpal will have its own wings for preliminary inquiries and
"From what I read in newspapers, the Lokpal institution
which is going to be headed by top-level people can only
enquire, then investigation is handed over to the CBI. CBI,
in turn, is answerable to the Government. It does not come
under Lokpal. Therefore, what`s the role of Lokpal? Only an
enquiry officer?", the former Karnataka Lokayukta said.
With this move, the CBI would only become "all-powerful",
"If a complaint is given by the Lokpal, then that
investigation will be conducted by CBI. This means Lokpal has
become an ordinary complainant which will go to CBI and lodge
a complaint and CBI will then investigate in the manner it
likes and Lokpal will have no control in investigation part of
it. This is not acceptable", Hegde said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan