Women, children trafficking on increase in Karnata
Bangalore: The number of cases of women and children being trafficked in Karnataka has been on the increase in the last five years with over 3,000 such offences being reported during the period, Deputy Chief Minister R Ashoka said on Monday.
In the last five years, there were as many as 3,234 cases of women and child trafficking reported in the state, he told the Legislative Council while replying to the issue raised by Congress member R V Venkatesh.
Ashoka, who holds the Home portfolio, said in 2007 there were 440 cases which rose to 488 the next year and to 534 in 2009. While in 2010 and 2011 there were 697 and 672 cases reported respectively, as many as 403 cases had been reported till June this year.
The government has taken adequate steps to control the menace, he said, adding that anti-human trafficking units have been set up in Bangalore city, Mysore, Hubli-Dharwad, Belgaum and Dakshin Kannada districts.
The government is considering setting up such units in four other districts of Gulbarga, Raichur, Kolar and Davanagere, Ashoka said.
Training programmes on the issue have been organised for police officers and prosecutors, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31