Women, children trafficking on increase in Karnata
Bangalore: The number of cases of women and children being trafficked in Karnataka has been on the increase in the last five years with over 3,000 such offences being reported during the period, Deputy Chief Minister R Ashoka said on Monday.
In the last five years, there were as many as 3,234 cases of women and child trafficking reported in the state, he told the Legislative Council while replying to the issue raised by Congress member R V Venkatesh.
Ashoka, who holds the Home portfolio, said in 2007 there were 440 cases which rose to 488 the next year and to 534 in 2009. While in 2010 and 2011 there were 697 and 672 cases reported respectively, as many as 403 cases had been reported till June this year.
The government has taken adequate steps to control the menace, he said, adding that anti-human trafficking units have been set up in Bangalore city, Mysore, Hubli-Dharwad, Belgaum and Dakshin Kannada districts.
The government is considering setting up such units in four other districts of Gulbarga, Raichur, Kolar and Davanagere, Ashoka said.
Training programmes on the issue have been organised for police officers and prosecutors, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!