Women, children trafficking on increase in Karnata
Bangalore: The number of cases of women and children being trafficked in Karnataka has been on the increase in the last five years with over 3,000 such offences being reported during the period, Deputy Chief Minister R Ashoka said on Monday.
In the last five years, there were as many as 3,234 cases of women and child trafficking reported in the state, he told the Legislative Council while replying to the issue raised by Congress member R V Venkatesh.
Ashoka, who holds the Home portfolio, said in 2007 there were 440 cases which rose to 488 the next year and to 534 in 2009. While in 2010 and 2011 there were 697 and 672 cases reported respectively, as many as 403 cases had been reported till June this year.
The government has taken adequate steps to control the menace, he said, adding that anti-human trafficking units have been set up in Bangalore city, Mysore, Hubli-Dharwad, Belgaum and Dakshin Kannada districts.
The government is considering setting up such units in four other districts of Gulbarga, Raichur, Kolar and Davanagere, Ashoka said.
Training programmes on the issue have been organised for police officers and prosecutors, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price