Y Bhaskar Rao takes oath as Karnataka Lokayukta
Bangalore: Former Chief Justice of Karnataka High Court Justice Yarabati Bhaskar Rao on Thursday took oath as the state`s new Lokayukta.
The 74-year-old former Chief Justice was sworn into office at the Raj Bhavan by Karnataka Governor H.R. Bharadwaj.
According to reports, Justice Rao`s choice was cleared by a panel comprising, Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar, acting Chief Justice of the High Court K. Sreedhar Rao, Legislative Council Chairman DH Shankarmurthy, Legislative Assembly Speaker K.G Bopaiah and Leaders of the Opposition in the two Houses Siddaramaiah and S.R. Patil.
Justice Rao, who hails from Andhra Pradesh`s Karimnagar District, was acting Chief Justice of Karnataka High Court for three months in 1999 and later served as Chief Justice from March 9, 2000 to June 26, 2000.
After retirement, he was appointed Chairman of Andhra Pradesh Human Rights Commission and later became a member of the National Human Rights Commission.
The post of Karnataka Lokayukta had been lying vacant since September 2011, after Shivaraj V. Patil resigned from the post in the wake of a media expose that showed irregularities in the allotment of two residential plots to him and his wife.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!