Yeddy admits allotting residential sites to kins
Bangalore: Facing fresh charges of nepotism,
Karnataka Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa on Monday admitted he had
allotted residential sites in Mysore to six of his relatives,
but indicated it was done on compassionate grounds.
His admission came after JD(S) alleged yesterday that the
Chief Minister alloted sites of Mysore Urban Development
Authority to ten of his close relatives under his
discretionary quota by "throwing all rules to winds."
Reacting to the charge, Yeddyurappa said, he had two
brothers and they had passed away, while a brother-in-law had
died and added that their relatives had been allotted sites.
However, he pleaded ignorance about four other allotees and
said he had asked the Mysore Deputy Commissioner to submit a
report in this regard.
At the height of opposition campaign against him last year,
Yeddyurappa`s family members, including son B Y Ragavendra,
MP, had surrendered prime plots in Bangalore after the
allegation of nepotism came under national spotlight.
Referring JDS leader H D Kumaraswamy`s plan to hold an
indefinite fast in front of the Vidhana Soudha, the state
secretariat, over the BJP`s chargesheet against him,
Yeddyurappa said it would not be allowed.
"However big a man may be in this nation, we will not allow
it in and around Vidhana Soudha", Yeddyurappa said adding
Kumaraswamy can hold the fast in the Freedom Park.
He said people have freedom to hold protest within the
legal frame-work, and he would not "block" it.
Kumaraswamy had on June 30 announced that he would go on a
fast-unto-death from July 8 if the state Government failed to
order an inquiry into the ruling BJP`s "chargesheet" alleging
that his family had amassed assets worth Rs 1,500 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants Aamir, Salman, Shah Rukh Khan to support her
- Indian Naval Ships Veer, Nipat to be decommissioned today
- Shashank Manohar to step down as BCCI boss for ICC chairman's post?
- No breakthrough in talks with India: Pakistan's top official
- Second phase of Bihar panchayat polls begins